Is humping considered appropriate "playfull" dog behavior?

Old January 15th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Is humping considered appropriate "playfull" dog behavior?

Hello,

I took my two dogs out today (1 yr. aussie, 4 yr lab), and along our
excursion on the way home we went through the dog park. There happened to
be a large pitbull-mix dog there, and while it was not drawing blood or
barking, it was being aggresive/dominant towards all of the dogs that I
could see.

As we passed by, it took a particular interest in my male lab, trying to
hump my dog (my dog was sitting down at the time). I did not consider this
to be appropriate, and as the owner did not respond to my repeated requests
to call and control his dog, I forcefully grabbed the offending pit by its
choke-chain and brought it back to it's owner.

I had a few choice words to the owner, a youngish fellow, likely a college
student. He seemed to feel I needed to "chill out", and that his dog was
only "playing".

I obviously have a different definition of playing, one which does not
involve overt aggresion, dominance, or humping. What about you?

Thanks,.

Jon

Old January 16th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Jon Danniken wrote:

As we passed by, it took a particular interest in my male lab, trying to
hump my dog (my dog was sitting down at the time). I did not consider this
to be appropriate, and as the owner did not respond to my repeated requests
to call and control his dog, I forcefully grabbed the offending pit by its
choke-chain and brought it back to it's owner.

I had a few choice words to the owner, a youngish fellow, likely a college
student. He seemed to feel I needed to "chill out", and that his dog was
only "playing".

I obviously have a different definition of playing, one which does not
involve overt aggresion, dominance, or humping. What about you?

I'm with you. Humping is NOT ALLOWED. Period.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with
Old January 16th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Mark Shaw" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

As we passed by, it took a particular interest in my male lab, trying to
hump my dog (my dog was sitting down at the time). I did not consider

this
to be appropriate, and as the owner did not respond to my repeated

requests
to call and control his dog, I forcefully grabbed the offending pit by

its
choke-chain and brought it back to it's owner.

I had a few choice words to the owner, a youngish fellow, likely a

college
student. He seemed to feel I needed to "chill out", and that his dog

was
only "playing".

I obviously have a different definition of playing, one which does not
involve overt aggresion, dominance, or humping. What about you?

I'm with you. Humping is NOT ALLOWED. Period.

Thanks Mark. You know, I train my dogs specifically to *not* be aggresive
towards other dogs. They can interact with, and even chase and be chased,
but not overt dominance/aggresive behavior. It really sickens me that some
people like the pitbull owner I met seem to feel like the world is a big
prison yard, where it's cool to have the biggest and toughest dog around.

I really hope I don't have to go through this again; I like to be able to
let the dogs interact with other dogs, but I won't allow my dog to be raped
by another dog just because the owner thinks it's cool. .

Jon

Old January 16th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Jon Danniken wrote:
"Mark Shaw" wrote:

I'm with you. Humping is NOT ALLOWED. Period.

Thanks Mark. You know, I train my dogs specifically to *not* be aggresive
towards other dogs. They can interact with, and even chase and be chased,
but not overt dominance/aggresive behavior. It really sickens me that some
people like the pitbull owner I met seem to feel like the world is a big
prison yard, where it's cool to have the biggest and toughest dog around.

I really hope I don't have to go through this again; I like to be able to
let the dogs interact with other dogs, but I won't allow my dog to be raped
by another dog just because the owner thinks it's cool. .

Well, let's be clear: it's not about sex, it's about dominance.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog."
Old January 16th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Mark Shaw" wrote in message
Well, let's be clear: it's not about sex, it's about dominance.

Yeah. Our female tries to hump her brother. Both neutered. We don't allow
it but periodically have to step in and stop it.

~~Judy

Old January 16th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Judy" wrote in message:

Yeah. Our female tries to hump her brother. Both neutered. We don't

allow
it but periodically have to step in and stop it.

Well, I know that you know this, but it doesn't have to be as cut and dry as
sex or dominance. Just about the only time Khan humps another dog is when
he desperately wants to play, and the other dog won't. And, he only does it
to friends. They'd of course tell him off, and it devolves into playing
somehow.

OP's situation of course is not the same. Two days last week, we didn't go
into the dog park because there was an unneutered Pit (two separate dogs on
two days) in there, humping away at all the other boy dogs. The other dogs
(and their owners) were good natured about it, but I know that it is a
recipe for a dog fight if they attempted it with Khan. My general policy,
if another dog decides to harass one of my own, is to talk to the owner
nicely, and ask them to call off their dog, but also make it clear to them
that if they won't control their dog, I will do it for them.

Suja

Old January 16th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in message

Well, I know that you know this, but it doesn't have to be

as cut and dry as
sex or dominance. Just about the only time Khan humps

another dog is when
he desperately wants to play, and the other dog won't.

And, he only does it
to friends. They'd of course tell him off, and it

devolves into playing
somehow.

Suja

Sometimes it can be through excitement too
Alison

Old January 23rd 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello,

I obviously have a different definition of playing, one which does not

involve overt aggresion, dominance, or humping. What about you?

Thanks,.

Jon

Irrespective of the reasons a dog humps another dog, the dog being
humped can take offense and a bad siuation can develop so for that
reason alone it's a good ploy to prevent that behaviour. Humping gets
labelled as a dominance behaviour but I'm not convinced thats the only
reason.

Paul