Rescue responses

Old January 17th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Rescue responses

For the last month I've been investigating adopting a boxer or other
large dog. With few exceptions, most of the dogs I've owned in my adult
life have been from local shelters. I'm proud to say my adult children
do the same for their dogs (except once). My wife and I are in our
late 50's, live in an upscale subdivision, are both physically active,
have a fenced yard, have a dog rescue history, want a mature dog, are
willing to accept some medical conditions, and have submitted all of
the application paperwork. Our state Boxer rescue wrote back saying "be
patient" and this seems to be because they don't have any dogs. Lone
Star responded promptly saying I lived too far away and they were
emailing my application to Mississippi. Neighboring states, however,
have just ignored my application. Then I applied to a nearby Doberman
rescue. After 3 weeks, I've not even gotten an acknowledgement that I
sent in all my paperwork. Then I emailed a local Greyhound rescue
asking for adoption information. No response in a week.

I realize that rescuers are volunteers with jobs and families. But
perhaps they could at least email back and say they've received an
application and it will be considered or not considered. Rescue web
sites say they have too many dogs and too little money. It does not
appear to me that just ignoring potential adopters is a way to fix
either problem.

I've now shifted my efforts toward finding an adult Boxer from a
reputable breeder. I am hopeful that at least I won't be ignored.

Old January 17th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

oh no please keep trying.im so sorry this has happened to you but keep
plugging away.
maybe some of the rescue workers here may be near enough to help you or
at least point you in the right direction.im from the uk and so dont
know enough of your rescues to be able to help.
we wouldnt ignore anyone at all,have you rang them up? i have ladies
ring up often and sometimes it can take a while because we like to try
and match the dog up to his ideal home but we are not ignoring our new
homes at all.
i would ring around or better still visit in person.all the best to
you,dg.

Old January 18th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Did you try looking on www.petfinder.com and doing a seach for boxers in
your state. They have tons of dogs listed and a lot of shelters are willing
to adopt out of state or out of area if you have reputable veterinary
references and referrals.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old January 20th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"sk73" writes:

I realize that rescuers are volunteers with jobs and families. But
perhaps they could at least email back and say they've received an
application and it will be considered or not considered.

I've been on both ends of this. It's not uncommon.

Recently I checked with one group (NISA) about my application and
learned that they really hadn't received it. I sent another and got
got a prompt reply. This is a well-run group and we've enjoyed
getting to know them but they just plain didn't get the app. and
there wasn't much they could do about it. It was up to me to verify
that it was received.

Rescue web
sites say they have too many dogs and too little money. It does not
appear to me that just ignoring potential adopters is a way to fix
either problem.

Yup, I believe that there's a lot of inefficiency in typical rescue
organizations. It's easy to be overwhelmed by the day-to-day needs
of the animals being served. Neglecting seemingly simple things
like responding to potential adopters can be the result.

Also, sometimes it's not as easy as you might think to respond to
potential adopters. I just got a call last night about our foster
Husky. It can be taxing to get excited about a potential adopter,
share everything I know about the dog, and then learn that the
potential adopter, for example, doesn't care for his current dog.
(That's a recent example.) That really puts a damper on my next
response.

I'm amazed at what rescue organizations accomplish. I think it's
typically through brute force - *lots* of love and effort. Along
the way balls are dropped. I appreciate your understanding and
patience. Please continue to work with the community.

Oh! On that note... You've encountered some groups that are too
overwhelmed to respond. Have you considered volunteering to help
them? Some tasks to consider:

Assist with handling contacts from potential adopters.
Make phone calls, check references, etc.

Pull and/or transport dogs for the group.

Perform simple temperament tests of shelter dogs in your
area. (Shelters don't typically note, for example, if a
dog is cat-friendly and it can make a big difference in
finding a foster home.)

When you help the group, you help the dogs. As you get involved
you'll also get more familiar with the animals the group handles
and you'll have a better chance of finding *your* next family
member (or two...).

Good luck and thank you for working with rescue.

--kyler