A little off-topic, but you folks might be able to help

Old March 9th 04, 09:59 AM
NoName

Default A little off-topic, but you folks might be able to help

Hi all,
This is not a dog. It is a rabbit. She has eyelashes that turn inward to
her eye and keep the eye irritated all the time. Since she was the
unfortunate product of an accidental mating, I don't want to cure her, but
rather have her humanely put to sleep. If I go to my vet, he'll charge me
$75 for the office visit and exam and such, and then probably extra for the
actual euth. Any ideas on who could do this for me for less? I don't think
I could bring myself to do it.
TIA

Old March 9th 04, 12:42 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 04:59:31 -0500, "NoName" wrote:

Hi all,
This is not a dog. It is a rabbit. She has eyelashes that turn inward to
her eye and keep the eye irritated all the time.[...]

The condition is called entropion.

Our's performs euthanasia on request for the "cost of the drugs." Your
local animal shelter will probably euthanize the rabbit for $10.00 or
so.

Thank you for not letting the rabbit suffer.

Michael
Whatever it takes.
Old March 9th 04, 05:49 PM
dianne marie schoenberg

elegy wrote:
why not try to find a rabbit rescue that will take the rabbit in, get
it the medical care it needs, and adopt it out?

The House Rabbit Society is great; they are at http://www.rabbit.org/

Dianne
Old March 10th 04, 03:12 AM
Spot

I can see the reason not to breed her but surely you can find someone who
will take her and give her the medical care needed.

Depending upon how far inward the eyelashes curl it's probably just a little
cosmetic surgery. My dog Barney developed a tiny lump on the rim of the eye
lid which we had removed and biopsied. The biopsy was negative but due to
the removal the lower eyelid had curled in and was irritating his eye. A
little bit more surgery to tighten the skin up and remove the curl was all
it took to cure the situation. Maybe this is all the rabbit needs done.

Celeste