Corgi with Stool Stuck in Butt

Old January 18th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Corgi with Stool Stuck in Butt

I have a Pembrooke Corgi who frequently seems to unable to totally expel
stool from his rectum. He comes back in the house and wherever he sits he
leaves little stool imprints. While his diet is normally lamb and rice dog
food he frequently goes out in the woods around our house and chews on bark
among other things.

If you try to wipe his butt he gets very ugly and tries to bite. Hence we
have had to muzzle him at times to clean him up and save the carpets.

It gets worse every time. Are there better ways to restrain a Corgi to do
this kind of maintenance?

Old January 18th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Michael Bushey" wrote in message
.net...
I have a Pembrooke Corgi who frequently seems to unable to totally expel
stool from his rectum. He comes back in the house and wherever he sits he
leaves little stool imprints.

..........Are his stools soft? If so, they're harder to get out than hard
stools. I've have a stool sample run.

Old January 18th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

buglady wrote:

"Michael Bushey" wrote in message
.net...

I have a Pembrooke Corgi who frequently seems to unable to totally expel
stool from his rectum. He comes back in the house and wherever he sits he
leaves little stool imprints.

.........Are his stools soft? If so, they're harder to get out than hard
stools. I've have a stool sample run.

Pembrokes are the tailless variant? My mom's aussie has no tail.
None. If you feel the end of the spine there's nothing but a dimple
there. And supposedly this was done to him - he was not naturally
totally tailless. Anyway, he has a heck of a time pooping. Or at
least, finishing up pooping. Being vulgar and joking around about poor
Blue's dilemma, the family has been known to comment that he lacks a
tail to crank up and down in order to snip off. I actually think there
may be some truth to it. If he was docked so drastically I suppose it's
possible that nerves and muscles supplying the anus and rectum may have
been affected. And if he were born so very tailless, I also suppose
there might be muscular or neurological abnormalities.

I think it would be worth running past the vet. The damage might or
might not be fixable, but, worst case scenanio, a daily dose of stool
softener can help, as can adding vegetables to the dog's diet. You'll
also need an obedience class to help you teach your dog to tolerate
handling so you can wipe his butt after bathroom breaks.

Kathleen

Old January 21st 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

If the stools are hard, increase vegetables and add some olive oil to
the meals. About a teaspoon or so. Also, look closely at the stools
to make sure they are soft but not slimey.
Make sure water is continuously availble to them also.

Old January 21st 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Michael Bushey" wrote in message

When you do clean his bum, is there hair in the stool?
This has happened to my golden, many times. I give all my pets, 'Petromalt',
now, to help with the defecation of hairballs. This has cut down on the
'extra poop' quite a bit.

If you try to wipe his butt he gets very ugly and tries to bite.

Oh my!
Here I thought Rudy was bad. He has, (from puppyhood, til now, almost 14),
been DREADFULLY embarrassed about anyone seeing this!
He only will allow me to do 'bum checks' on him. Anyone in the house, in his
path, to the bathroom to be cleaned has to look the other way, nor can they
even comment on it. He is so meticulous. G If this happens he'll sit and
leave poop along the way.

(A BIG caveat here.
Once while outside he came to me to help clean him. I had to call hubby out
to bring paper towels. I pulled on it and it kept coming out, making my then
hub toss his cookies, and it was about 2-3 ft long. GROSS
I found out later not to pull anything this long out myself. Rather better
to cut it off at the bum, and wait for the rest to be 'evacuated', or at
least take him over to the vet. I could have caused damage to his large
intestines or rectum or something, by pulling too much at a time, even tho I
did go very slowly.)

For the most part I just keep his gorgeous leg 'feathers' trimmed in a
certain way. I hate to do it but it saves much time.

Hence we have had to muzzle him at times to clean him up and save the
carpets.

It gets worse every time. Are there better ways to restrain a Corgi to do
this kind of maintenance?

I'm sorry I can't really help much, but I do keep a pair of scissors and
baby wipes near the main entryway for these times. He doesn't get anywhere
near as upset about the cleaning if I do it outside away from the other dogs
and ppl. Maybe just a bit easier for you to place the leash on your dog's
muzzle, if you can do this outside first?

Hopeful,
MaryBeth