Looking for good breeders of German Shepherd Dog

Old March 9th 04, 09:15 PM
CC45

Default Looking for good breeders of German Shepherd Dog

I want to get a German Shepherd pup/dog (2-6 months old) from
a reputable breeder. I will call the breeders and ask more detailed
questions directly. But here I just want to collect as many breeders
as possible. The general reqs for the dog: black and red color, with
a show potential even though I do not plan to participate in any dog
shows, obviously free of any diseases (complete vet evaluation
required), preferably a German line. The breeder has to be
established, i.e. both in terms of show participation and customer
satisfaction for its puppies.

I came up with an initial list collected from magazines. Any comments
about them? I provide their websites below:

fleischerheim.com
goldbergshepherds.com
kirchenwald.com
jerland.com/shepherds/index.html
www.hausbrezel.com
www.kolendakennels.com

Old March 9th 04, 09:38 PM
Tracy Doyle

CC45 wrote:

I want to get a German Shepherd pup/dog (2-6 months old) from
a reputable breeder. I will call the breeders and ask more detailed
questions directly. But here I just want to collect as many breeders
as possible. The general reqs for the dog: black and red color, with
a show potential even though I do not plan to participate in any dog
shows, obviously free of any diseases (complete vet evaluation
required), preferably a German line. The breeder has to be
established, i.e. both in terms of show participation and customer
satisfaction for its puppies.

I came up with an initial list collected from magazines. Any comments
about them? I provide their websites below:

[snipped list]

Greetings...

Can't help you vet your list, but my word of advice would be - be very
careful about breeders who advertize in magazines, especially if they
take out huge full-color ads. Too many of them have turned out to be
puppy millers.

I suggest you start your search by calling your local branch GSD club.
Go to some dog shows and meet the breeders. You'll see different styles
and looks, and if you meet the dogs you'll also find a range of
temperaments. When you see one you like, talk to the breeder. Get
pedigrees and try to get a feel for what bloodlines you like. Find some
email lists for dogs (Yahoo groups probably has a bunch:
sure you'll find that "just right" puppy!

Kind Regards,

Tracy
Old March 9th 04, 10:01 PM
CC45

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:38:16 GMT, Tracy Doyle
wrote:

CC45 wrote:

[...]

This is not a very good approach for me. I live in an area with not
that many dog shows. I went to one show recently, the dogs were just
average. More importantly, most of the people were busy taking care
of their dogs. it is akward to approach *many* people at the dogs
shows. The keyword is many. I do not select from a small sample.
I have to have a large sample to work with.

My strategy is to choose from a *large* sample/list and to speed up
the selection process by calling them directly. To do the same on the
dogs shows is not going to work. The only way is to get the long
list that meets my general reqs, start calling them and select
through elimination process.

As far as yahoo groups, i will get there too. Let's finish with these
newsgroups first.

Old March 9th 04, 10:35 PM
Sue

I don't have GSDs but I would not be prepared to let a top show potential
puppy go to a pet home.
I think what you want is a near miss -a pup bred for show that isn't quite a
ch prospect. Often you wouldn't know the difference and an also ran from a
good breeder is probably far better than show potential fron some breeders.
Have you contacted the shepherd clubs?
Sue

Old March 9th 04, 10:45 PM
CC45

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:35:03 +0000 (UTC), "Sue"
wrote:

I don't have GSDs but I would not be prepared to let a top show potential
puppy go to a pet home.
I think what you want is a near miss -a pup bred for show that isn't quite a
ch prospect. Often you wouldn't know the difference and an also ran from a
good breeder is probably far better than show potential fron some breeders.
Have you contacted the shepherd clubs?
Sue

Please, refrain yourself from advice that has not been asked for.
This is a specific inquiry. There are general reqs listed and I asked
only for two things: name of breeder(s) that meets these general
reqs or a comment on the breeder already provided. All other comments
are just a waste of time. There are plenty of books that already
include cute advices and general comments and I do not need them here.
This is a specific inquiry asking for specific responses.

Old March 9th 04, 11:45 PM
CC45

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:04:37 -0800, Scott
wrote:

I am just curious: Why do you want show lines and not working lines?

I do not want to get into semantics here. It seems like too many
pay too much attention to terms assumed to carry some precise
meanings. By a show potential, I meant proportionately built,
inteligent enough to complete advanced obedience
training, athletic enough to complete endurance tests, etc. Working
line is great too although I do not plan my dog to work, as a matter
of fact I would like my dog to have a "working" look.

Old March 9th 04, 11:53 PM
culprit

"CC45" wrote in message

Please, refrain yourself from advice that has not been asked for.
This is a specific inquiry. There are general reqs listed and I asked
only for two things: name of breeder(s) that meets these general
reqs or a comment on the breeder already provided. All other comments
are just a waste of time. There are plenty of books that already
include cute advices and general comments and I do not need them here.
This is a specific inquiry asking for specific responses.

hey CC45,
this is a discussion group, so you're going to have to put up with a far
amount of discussion if you want to learn anything here. this isn't a QA
board where experts answer only the question you decide to ask. you're
going to have to sort the responses you want from the responses you don't
want, so you might as well be nice about it.

also, a lot of people read this group looking for advice that may have
already been given. so a lot of the more informed posters will want to
answer your request completely, so that other readers can learn something
from it. if you don't like the "cute advices", you certainly don't have to
follow them.

-kelly

Old March 10th 04, 12:36 AM
Sunflower

wrote:

[...]

You know, if you're this arrogant with a reptuable breeder, they'll rightly
send you packing. You obviously do not know enough about GSD's to consider
owning a show prospect, and the real breeders will pick up on this right
away. They won't even sell you a pet quality puppy. Puppy millers and
backyard breeders will sell you just any old thing because all they will
care about is making a buck. And, you won't be able to tell the difference.
All you seem to care about is whether or not they have a website to make it
easy for you to find a dog. Finding a good dog should NOT be easy, if you
really want a high quality dog. You'll need to travel to kennels all over
the place and to shows all over the place. And, that's just for the
education you'll need and the contacts that are available there. When you
know enough and have enough contacts in the breed club, only then will you
learn of potential pairings down the road that *might* lead to the dog
you're in search of. No reputable breeder breeds a litter unless they have
all of the pups spoken for in advance, and if you learn enough and curb that
arrogant and insulting behavior, you just might be lucky enough to get a dog
that fits your "requirements" within the next year or two.