The vacuum cleaner thing....

Old January 19th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default The vacuum cleaner thing....

What is it with dogs and the vacuum cleaner? Most dogs I've known have
chased the cleaner head back and forth, in a really bizarre, fixated kind of
way very different from their other attack or play behaviors. Saskia just
started about three months ago, with the full-on "attacking" it thing, tail
wagging frantically, front end on the floor, terrible, goofy noises coming
out of the dog, the works. It's absolutely hilarious. I've been meaning to
post about it for a while. It's just such an ODD behavior to be shared by so
many dogs!
--Katrina

Old January 19th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"White Monkey" composed these thoughts and
posted them :

What is it with dogs and the vacuum cleaner? Most dogs I've known have
chased the cleaner head back and forth, in a really bizarre, fixated
kind of way very different from their other attack or play behaviors.
Saskia just started about three months ago, with the full-on
"attacking" it thing, tail wagging frantically, front end on the
floor, terrible, goofy noises coming out of the dog, the works. It's
absolutely hilarious. I've been meaning to post about it for a while.
It's just such an ODD behavior to be shared by so many dogs!
--Katrina

I have been vacuuming my 3 week old puppies daily, mainly because I
recognize this trait in dogs to be a big deal. My puppies seem to enjoy
their daily vacuuming, and hopefully in the future, a vacuum cleaner
won't be a big deal.
Old January 19th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

What is it with dogs and the vacuum cleaner? Most dogs I've known have
chased the cleaner head back and forth, in a really bizarre, fixated
kind of way very different from their other attack or play behaviors.
Saskia just started about three months ago, with the full-on
"attacking" it thing, tail wagging frantically, front end on the
floor, terrible, goofy noises coming out of the dog, the works. It's
absolutely hilarious. I've been meaning to post about it for a while.
It's just such an ODD behavior to be shared by so many dogs!
--Katrina

I have been vacuuming my 3 week old puppies daily, mainly because I
recognize this trait in dogs to be a big deal. My puppies seem to enjoy
their daily vacuuming, and hopefully in the future, a vacuum cleaner
won't be a big deal.

Well, Saskia ignored the vacuum cleaner completely until about three months
ago, and now is clearly having a grand time playing with it, but what you're
doing still strikes me as a good idea anyway.
--Katrina

Old January 19th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

on 2006-01-19 at 17:57 wrote:

Well, Saskia ignored the vacuum cleaner completely until
about three months ago, and now is clearly having a grand
time playing with it, but what you're doing still strikes me
as a good idea anyway.

i've done the same sort of thing with my cats and the hair
dryer, to the point that when i turn it on, they come
a-runnin'--even the tweaky feral boy. they know hair dryer =
petting.

harriet is meh about the vacuum, aside from hopping up on the
furniture so that she's out of its path. elliott used to pick
up all the stray toys while i vacuumed, putting them away in
the toy box. i have no idea what his thought processes were,
but it certainly made my life easier to have a trainee
housekeeper.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
Old January 19th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:51:31 -0600, diddy , clicked
their heels and said:

I have been vacuuming my 3 week old puppies daily, mainly because I
recognize this trait in dogs to be a big deal. My puppies seem to enjoy
their daily vacuuming, and hopefully in the future, a vacuum cleaner
won't be a big deal.

I've created vacuum monsters by doing this. Get out the vacuum and
the dogs want their fair share. Harder to get the house clean when
you're busy cleaning the dogs!

One of Rudy's former homes reported that he's afraid of the vacuum.
He's my shadow when I use the damn thing, so I have no idea what the
heck they saw!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old January 19th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

shelly wrote in
arble.net:

elliott used to pick
up all the stray toys while i vacuumed, putting them away in
the toy box.

That's adorable!

The opposite occurs at my house -- I put the toys in the box and Queenie
takes them all out again, immediately.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old January 19th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

on 2006-01-19 at 18:09 wrote:

That's adorable!

it really was. he was super cute about it.

The opposite occurs at my house -- I put the toys in the box
and Queenie takes them all out again, immediately.

well, i left that part out of the story. harriet would
promptly, as soon as i was finished vacuuming, strew the toys
to kingdom come and back again.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
Old January 19th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Max runs for his life from the vacuum cleaner. Straight downstairs
until I turn it off.

Old January 19th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

White Monkey wrote:
What is it with dogs and the vacuum cleaner? Most dogs I've known have
chased the cleaner head back and forth, in a really bizarre, fixated kind of
way very different from their other attack or play behaviors. Saskia just
started about three months ago, with the full-on "attacking" it thing, tail
wagging frantically, front end on the floor, terrible, goofy noises coming
out of the dog, the works. It's absolutely hilarious. I've been meaning to
post about it for a while. It's just such an ODD behavior to be shared by so
many dogs!
--Katrina

Dylan was our vacuum attack dog. She ignored it when it was off,
but as soon as I turned it on, she was on it, biting and
growling. She punctured the cloth bag on her first vacuum, so I
had to buy one with a hard shell. On that one she left many
tooth-marks on the beater-brush housing. She enjoyed it so much
that I hated to do this, but I had to kick her outside if I
wanted to get any serious vacuuming done.

She also loved to attack other tools in motion: brooms, rakes,
dirt shovels, snow shovels, sprinklers and the stream of water
coming out of the power washer.

After she chewed up its handle, we let her have a plastic snow
shovel, which she carried around the yard now and then for a few
years.

FurPaw
--
"...curious...that women would move from playing with Barbie to
denouncing Barbie to remaking themselves as Barbie."

To reply, unleash the dog
Old January 19th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

White Monkey wrote:
What is it with dogs and the vacuum cleaner?

It's big and noisy.

Baron ignores it, by the way. But he HATES the Swiffer.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with