Found stray - Need advice -Atlanta area

Old January 19th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Found stray - Need advice -Atlanta area

Hi Folks,

I'm in a difficult situation. First of all I should say that I am a
lifelong (responsible I'd like to think) dog owner. I currently have a
one year old shepherd mix puppy named Dante. We got him from the
Atlanta Humane Society and I was very pleased overall with the
experience there.

Well Last Friday I discovered a stray in our neighborhood. No collar,
no evidence of her belonging to anyone. She seemed in good health and
no too emaciated. I walked around the neighborhood and knocked on doors
asking if anyone knew who owned the dog. Most people said they didn't
know and that they had seen the dog around quite a bit but didn't know
if she had an owner.

Well I couldn't leave her out in the rain so I took her back to our
house. Like I said she seemed in good health other than a cut on one of
her front paw pads. My wife and I had discussed having another dog at
some point. And we always thought that our second dog would find us.
However, we both decided that maybe now was not the time. So the next
morning we took her to the Atlanta Humane Society. Well, they would not
accept her into the adoption program because of the wound on her paw
pad. We were told they would take her once it's healed. We decided to
take her home to heal.

The dog is very adoptable, loves all kinds of people and seemed to get
along well with our current dog before we separated them for health
reasons (don't know the stray's shot status etc).

I've now committed myself to this to the point that I really want to
make sure she gets into a good home. I'm looking for opinions about the
best way to do that.

Is Atlanta Humane society the best option?
Are the other Atlanta Metro area oprganizations that would service her
better?
Is there any way around all the guilt I'm gonna feel for not keeping
her?

Thanks much,

Jason

Old January 20th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

I don't know much about any of the shelters you mention but if you are
really concerned why not keep her while you look and find her a new owner.
That way you know she went to someone responsible.

I've been looking for 6 months for a suitable dog to bring into my home, one
that would not bother my cats but would be a good playmate for my 2 year old
collie mix. I found him through a co-worker and he fits in perfectly. He
to was a stray that showed up right before Christmas at her house and she
took him in. Once she reailzed how well he got along with her cats and dog
she asked if I might be interested in him. It was one of the best decisions
I've made. He's 4 has some health problems but is very well behaved and the
two dogs play like they've been best friends forever.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old January 20th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

wrote in message
[...]

Right now, I'm more concerned with the fact that you seem not to have tried
to find her owners other than just knocking on doors in your neighborhood.

Dogs that get loose accidentally can travel miles, and be unable to find
their way home. You need to check the "lost" ads in the paper, and place in
a "found" ad, before you decide to keep her or give her to someone else.
Also, your area Animal Control may have lost and found ads or a board posted
at their facility.

flick 100785

Thanks much,

Jason

Old January 21st 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

She has been scanned for microchip. And I've kept and eye out in the
neighborhood for signs. I've checked lost and found ads in the local
paper as well.

I will increase my efforts to find her owners but I doubt they exist
for a number of reasons.

Jason

Old January 21st 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

wrote in message
ps.com...
She has been scanned for microchip. And I've kept and eye out in the
neighborhood for signs. I've checked lost and found ads in the local
paper as well.

I will increase my efforts to find her owners but I doubt they exist
for a number of reasons.

I stand corrected re your efforts. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Sadly, it isn't unusual for some rotten people to abandon dogs they don't
want any more (or can't keep, whatever).

So nice for this dog that she found a caring person to help her :-).

flick 100785