Opinions Please

Old January 20th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Opinions Please

Hi,

My Labrador Retriever Cheyenne will be 11 years old in a few weeks. She has
8 or 10 Lipomas.
I've lost count. She had quite a few removed 2 years ago but they just keep
coming back. The large one that was removed 2 years ago has grown back.
It's the size of a big cantaloupe. It looks terrible but doesn't hurt her.
Lately it started to interfere with her getting up when she is laying on her
stomach. She kind of rolls her body and flips herself up. it's terrible.
She reminds me of what a fish looks like when it's out of water. She has
hypothyroidism since she was 3 and suffers from seizures maybe 3 times year.
.. Here is my question. Should I leave her or have the fatty tumor removed.
The doctor says she'll be fine but I know there is always a risk when they
are put out just like when we are. I'm so scared and this lousy thing keeps
getting bigger. He's afraid if we wait longer it will be harder to remove
and she'll be even older. He originally said leave it alone, don't rock the
boat but now he thinks we should take it out because it's getting so big.
What do you all think?

Bettina & Cheyenne

I'm taking her in for a chest x-ray, blood work and a cardiogram on the
31st.

Old January 20th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Bettina Jordan" wrote in message
She has 8 or 10 Lipomas. I've lost count. She had quite a few removed 2
years ago but they just keep
coming back. The large one that was removed 2 years ago has grown back.
It's the size of a big cantaloupe

snip
He originally said leave it alone, don't rock the
boat but now he thinks we should take it out because it's getting so big.
What do you all think?

.......If all her tests look good and she's feeling good, I'd have it taken
off. Some lipomas seem to grow faster than others. The problem is when you
run across one of these it's better to have them taken off when they're a
lot smaller as not only is it harder to get it all off, but it's going to
leave quite a big hole to stitch up. The crucial question is whether it's
in a location with enough loose skin to stitch it up without causing that
side of her body to tighten up. I've got a dog in the *lump of the month*
club also and I'm closely watching one under her arm, as those are the ones
that tend to interfere with walking.

good luck with your oldster

Old January 20th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Weims are also subject to lipomas. Many of my older guys had them. My
general philosophy, as well as my vet's, was to leave them alone unless they
are in a location where movement is restricted or they are being contantly
rubbed (example, between inner elbow and body).

--
Ruth, Greta, Woody & Thelma

Old January 20th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 04:35:50 GMT, "Bettina Jordan" wrote:
It's the size of a big cantaloupe. It looks terrible but doesn't hurt her.
Lately it started to interfere with her getting up when she is laying on her
stomach...
What do you all think?

Motion significantly impaired. Dignity and comfort compromised. How could I not vote for
surgery.

I empathize with your concerns.

A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old January 21st 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Bettina Jordan" Hi,

My Labrador Retriever Cheyenne will be 11 years old in a few weeks. She
has 8 or 10 Lipomas.
I've lost count. It's the size of a big cantaloupe. It looks terrible
but doesn't hurt her.
Lately it started to interfere with her getting up when she is laying on
her
stomach.

Oh geeeze, I know how you feel, like buglady.
My (14 in 3 weeks) Golden, Rudy is in the lump of the month club. First one
he got was about the size of a grape before I could feel it. Then he'd get
more every couple of years, up to maybe 8-10 now.
For the first 3-5 we did needle 'biopsies', in the exam room. They all came
out looking just like bacon grease, literally. uck
If they'd been different we'd have had them removed. As long as they didn't
get any bigger than a grape, or change.
I found one on his belly just last week that feels harder and inserted more
immovable than any of his others. I'm debating on asking our vet about
removing it. But it still isn't in the way of any motion.
I'd take them out if they were large as yours and making it uncomfortable,
but your own vet, I presume, knows your dog better than anyone aside from
you and s/he will know best.

I'll keep thinking good thoughts for you as I know I, and my vet have
reservations on anesthesizing them at a later age. But you have 4 years
younger, so not as much risk.

Hope all works out well and Cheyenne is just 'fine and dandy', (as GranPa
used to say), afterward.

MaryBeth
Rudy
Ceilidh