Q: potty training: signal to go out

Old January 21st 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Q: potty training: signal to go out

I have a 13 weeks old yorkie-poo.
She seems to grasp the notion of going potty outside.
Sometimes, she quietly sits near the door - looking up.
It was a clear sign that she wanted to go out.
When I let her out, she went potty outside within seconds.
Super, except she does NOT give this clear sign every time.
Sometimes, she will sniff around, as if she is about to go.
(I studied her behavior pattern outside before she went.)
Often I was able to take her outside in time, but not always.
I try to but can not keep a constant eye on her at all time.
She does *not* bark or whine.
She is very quiet (which is great, except in a case like this).
How do I help her signal that she needs to go out?
Is there any device out there that a puppy can use to signal?
I want to do other things around house, and know when she needs to go.

Old January 21st 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default potty training: signal to go out

I have a 13 weeks old yorkie-poo.

Make sure you take her outside very frequently with a pocket of small
appropriate yummy treats. As soon as she goes, pat her on the head with a
"good dog" and immediatly treat her. This is the ONLY time you should give
her treats until she is older and completely potty trained. Soon she'll get
more excited about going out and voiding because there's a trat associated
with it. But no pee = no treat. Sometimes it's even necessary to slack off
on the praise and attention in the house as well and attach it to the
bathroom deed outside until all is better.

Puppy Growling and Attacking me when he has a bone Simon Adebisi Dog behavior 36 August 3rd 05 08:55 AM
Puppy Growling and Attacking me when he has a bone Simon Adebisi Dog health 24 July 31st 05 11:45 PM
To All Dog Owners CB Dogs - general 3 July 31st 05 09:48 AM
Housebreaking Frustration DaveR Dog behavior 15 July 26th 05 12:48 AM