Lumps after shots

Old March 10th 04, 02:21 AM
Jean Staffen

Default Lumps after shots

I took my dog to the vet yesterday to get her yearly shots. Today, she has
lumps on her back where they gave the shots. Is this something unusual? Do
I need to take her back to the vet or will the lumps go away after a while?
Is this a dangerous situation?

(she is 20 lb Dachshund mix, 3 years old - very healthy)

Old March 10th 04, 04:02 AM
Shelley

My doxie, Rusty, always is lumpy at his injection sites when he gets shots.
THey're usually there for a couple of days and when I called my vet to ask
about it, she wasn't concerned. If they're still there in a few days or you
see other symptoms (I know with some shots the dog will be listless for
12-24 hours but should be back to normal after that), you should call your
vet, though. I'm certainly not a dog expert, but am just sharing my (small
amount of) dog knowledge. I'm sure someone who knows more will probably
reply as well.

Good luck and let us know!

Shelley & Rusty
http://rusty.bump.us

Old March 10th 04, 04:07 AM
Spot

A little swelling such as a lump for a day or so after a shot is not to much
to be worried about. Now if it is still present 5 days later then I would
call the vets office.

Celeste

Old March 10th 04, 03:43 PM
Songbird

Do the lumps seem to bother her? If so, put a cool cloth on them for a
while. An icepack would be better, but most dogs won't stay still for that!

The lumps usually go away quickly -- just a topical reaction.

Songbird

Old March 10th 04, 04:57 PM
Jean Staffen

Thanks Shelley, Spot and Songbird! I appreciate your response. The lumps
are much smaller today and Sunny doesn't seem to mind my feeling of them. I
just want to take real good care of this little gal, she is a rescue.
Someone had her tied in the backyard and they were starving her to death.
She weighed 11 lbs when I got her - she is now up to 20.3 lbs and not a bit
of fat. She is the smartest, sweetest, most loving and responsive dog I've
ever had. World champion pound pup! Thanks again.

lumps in old dogs Ashleigh Dog breeds 3 March 30th 04 11:20 PM
Lumps-Opinions alie Dog health 62 August 12th 03 07:33 PM