Idiot owner

Old January 22nd 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Idiot owner

Saskia and I went out for our morning walk today, and we went first to the
small park, because I saw the nice trainer with her Irish Setter over there.
She was on her way to a seminar, though, so we walked with her to the train
station and then I took Saskers on through it to the other park, and let her
go. Bear in mind that these are not "dog parks" but nice parks full of trees
and paths and lawns and streams where dogs are allowed to run free.

She was cavorting about, then spotted another loose dog, an Anatolian. She
bounded into the middle of the field and, quite some way from the other dog,
went into a play bow. That owner, not saying anything at all, ran out and
put her dog onto a really light Flexi, one I wouldn't expect to hold a
beagle, let alone an Anatolian. Saskia bounded one step closer (still pretty
far away). The woman seized her dog by the collar with both hands and hauled
backwards. THEN her dog started barking and snarling, seriously
aggressively, and lunging so that the woman could hardly hold her.

I called Saskia over, and she started my way, but then decided the other dog
was playing, and started running back and forth barking back. At no time did
the woman speak to or look at her dog--she was just glaring at me. I called
Saskia a bad dog and told her to Get Over Here Right Now, which she
immediately did, and I put her on the lead and had her sit. The other woman
started backing away, dragging the snarling and lunging Anatolian with her.
When she was at the path, she stopped and just kept glaring at me.

I explained that Saskia had wanted to play and had thought her dog WAS
playing. She shouted that her dog was NOT playing. I said I could see that,
and that's why I had collected my dog and put her on the lead. She said I
must keep Saskia on the lead all the time, and started wandering down the
path letting her dog sniff trees and stand around and things. Twice, she
dropped the Flexi handle.

I called after her, asking where I was supposed to let my dog run around and
play, then, if she had to be on the lead around this woman's dog (which, if
you'll recall, had been loose when we came on the scene). She replied that
my dog had to stay on the line. I asked again where she is supposed to play,
then, and the woman said, "Not here, it's forbidden." I pointed out that I
see several dozen loose dogs playing there several times daily. She said,
"Yes, that's normal. It's OK."

I pointed out that the local city security people, who patrol there, like
Saskia very much and have never commented that she should not be loose
there. She said, "It is forbidden here, you have to keep your dog on the
line." I said again that lots of dogs play loose there, and she said again
that that's OK. I asked why the other people could have their dogs loose and
not me. She rolled her eyes. I asked why she could have her aggressive dog
loose and not mine. She told me to **** off.

I was upset by this; I can be a bit too sensitive at times. I really didn't
want to force Saskia to stay on the lead just because some woman with a
really aggressive dog wanted to walk her dog on a light Flexi or even loose
there, but of course I wasn't going to let her loose as long as the woman
was there--or, more to the point, the big aggressive dog. So I waited a
while, telling everyone who came along with a loose dog that somewhere ahead
was a woman with a big aggressive dog that was either loose or on a light
Flexi, and that she would complain about the dogs being loose here where
these people have been walking their dogs loose in some cases for 15 years.

After a while, I decided that she must have left the park (it's not THAT
big), and was about to let Saskers loose, when along came one of her best
friends, a huge Newfoundland, and his owner, a no-nonsense Dutch man. This
man told me I should have told the woman to get out of my face, and if she
persisted in saying Saskia should be on he line, I should have told her to
call the police, then. He and I then had a pleasant walk while the dogs
cavorted with each other and, as we came upon and passed them, a flat-coat,
a border-terrier, two mixes, a Golden, and a Gordon Setter. But sheesh, what
a raging loon! AND with a barely-controlled aggressive dog.

I will keep my eyes peeled for her from now on--she's definitely one to
avoid.
--Katrina

Old January 22nd 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"White Monkey" composed these thoughts and
posted them :

[...]

It's the same rules that apply here on newsgroups. "some people" are
privileged to do things that they bite everyone else's heads off for.
Old January 22nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

i would have been upset too and dont think you are too sensitive at
all!
you keep in mind you have a happy out going dog who will come to you
and sit with you,ok she didnt come straight away but so what she came.
also keep in mind she has a dog she cant control and should therefore
be kept on the lead and whether she did the damage to that dog or not
she is adding to this poor dogs problems.

take a deep breath and let it go,take the high road here you know your
in the right.

Old January 22nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

White Monkey wrote:
Saskia and I went out for our morning walk today,

snipped

I will keep my eyes peeled for her from now on--she's definitely one to
avoid.
--Katrina

Your subject line says it all - she's an idiot. Perhaps
*you're* the one who should call the police if you encounter her
with her dog loose again.

I do feel sorry for her dog - it looks like he's taking his cues
to be aggressive from his idiot owner.

FurPaw

--
"...curious...that women would move from playing with Barbie to
denouncing Barbie to remaking themselves as Barbie."

To reply, unleash the dog
Old January 23rd 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

FurPaw wrote:
White Monkey wrote:
Saskia and I went out for our morning walk today,

snipped

I will keep my eyes peeled for her from now on--she's definitely one to
avoid.
--Katrina

Your subject line says it all - she's an idiot. Perhaps
*you're* the one who should call the police if you encounter her
with her dog loose again.

I do feel sorry for her dog - it looks like he's taking his cues
to be aggressive from his idiot owner.

FurPaw

This is what I thought, reading the post. The dog wasn't reacting
until the owner started. Just remember, some days it is the
international day of the asshole and not just the insert your country
here day of the asshole.

Beth

Old January 23rd 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"FurPaw" wrote in message
White Monkey wrote:
Saskia and I went out for our morning walk today,

snipped

I will keep my eyes peeled for her from now on--she's definitely one to
avoid.
--Katrina

Your subject line says it all - she's an idiot. Perhaps *you're* the one
who should call the police if you encounter her with her dog loose again.

Well, thing is, it ISN'T forbidden for the dogs to be loose there--or if it
is it's one of those areas of conventional tolerance the Dutch are good at.
People I meet there have been letting their own dogs run there for 10 or 15
years, and dogs have been running there for at least 50. The people in
charge of the sort of minor offense constituted by a loose dog in a leashed
area (the city watch) have seen Saskia running there many times and not
said anything beyond what a lovely dog they think she is. One even threw a
stick for her. The police could only become involved if this woman's dog
bit someone or another dog. Then there is a system that comes into play.
Where we lived when we got Saskia, there was a Rottweiler that had bitten
another dog. His owners were warned, and had to pay the vet bill. He then
bit another dog. The owners were fined and told to keep him on the lead,
and they had to pay the vet bill. Then he put a puppy in the hospital, and
his owners were fined heavily, had to pay the vet bills, and were told to
keep him on the lead and muzzled. They didn't, and had been fined a few more
times for just being seen with the dog offlead and unmuzzled. But they at
least had the grace to leash him and hustle away when they saw another dog,
and there hadn't been another biting incident in a year.

I do feel sorry for her dog - it looks like he's taking his cues to be
aggressive from his idiot owner.
FurPaw

That's how it looked. And she (the owner) was *definitely* aggressive.
--Katrina

Old January 23rd 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"dallygirl" wrote in message
ups.com...
i would have been upset too and dont think you are too

sensitive at
all!
you keep in mind you have a happy out going dog who will

come to you
and sit with you,ok she didnt come straight away but so

what she came.
also keep in mind she has a dog she cant control and

should therefore
be kept on the lead and whether she did the damage to that

dog or not
she is adding to this poor dogs problems.

take a deep breath and let it go,take the high road here

you know your
in the right.

The owner didn't handle this right but the dog was actually
on the lead when Saskia
was running up and down barking .
Alison

Old January 23rd 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I would have been upset too and don't think you are too
sensitive at
all!
you keep in mind you have a happy out going dog who will

come to you
and sit with you,ok she didn't come straight away but so

what she came.
also keep in mind she has a dog she cant control and

should therefore
be kept on the lead and whether she did the damage to that

dog or not
she is adding to this poor dogs problems.

take a deep breath and let it go,take the high road here

you know your
in the right.

The owner didn't handle this right but the dog was actually
on the lead when Saskia
was running up and down barking .
Alison

This is true. Luckily, Saskia, who was doing that because the other dog was
lunging and barking and snarling, didn't get very close, and I collected her
immediately--she did that for about 30 seconds at a distance of about 6
meters. The other dog's owner had every reason to glare at me for that 30
seconds. The owner did two things that were smart--put her dog on the lead
when she saw another dog approach, and then not trust that lead (flimsy
medium or small breed Flexi) and so hold her dog by the collar.
--Katrina

Old January 23rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

White Monkey wrote:

This is true. Luckily, Saskia, who was doing that because the other dog was
lunging and barking and snarling, didn't get very close, and I collected her
immediately--she did that for about 30 seconds at a distance of about 6
meters. The other dog's owner had every reason to glare at me for that 30
seconds. The owner did two things that were smart--put her dog on the lead
when she saw another dog approach, and then not trust that lead (flimsy
medium or small breed Flexi) and so hold her dog by the collar.
--Katrina

Right. As an owner of a dog-reactive (not aggressive, but doesn't like
strange dogs coming at her) dog, I have to say that I would have been
extremely annoyed when Saskia started the leaping-running back and forth
thing. And I would have indeed gotten a good, but calm, hold on Cala.
Because the doberman always gets blamed.

One moral of this story is that the owner was a whacko, which she was.
The other is that you need to proof your recall better. Saskia should
have come to you immediately, the first time you called. Not after 30
seconds or however long it took. Because a dog like Saskia will wind
Cala up in a red hot minute.
Old January 23rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"White Monkey" wrote in message

I do feel sorry for her dog - it looks like he's taking

his cues to be
aggressive from his idiot owner.
FurPaw

That's how it looked. And she (the owner) was *definitely*

aggressive.
--Katrina

I wonder if you could give her the name of your trainer or
a behaviourist . She handled this wrong and over reacted but
it's no picnic having a dog- aggressive dog.
She was probably anxious or even frightened that there would
be a serious fight.
She didnt know Saskia wasn't aggressive until you told her.
Her dog might have been aggressive because he had been
attacked before.
She was rude and isn't helping her dog but having read lots
of stories from peeps trying to rehabiliate rescue dogs with
dog aggression problems I know how an incident like this can
cause a major set back.
It's a good job that Saskia is well trained or it could
have turned into a nasty incident .

--
Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

shh my owner is slleeping [email protected] Dog behavior 1 December 19th 05 02:17 PM
Handlers being sued by owner for death of dog Robin Nuttall Dog breeds 52 August 1st 05 05:51 AM
More BSL (IL) Suja Dog behavior 29 March 5th 05 09:36 PM
Idiot Owner FurPaw Dog behavior 14 September 9th 03 06:03 AM
Idiot Owner FurPaw Dog behavior 0 September 8th 03 02:48 AM