Puppy Won't Poop Outside

Old January 22nd 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Puppy Won't Poop Outside

Hey there...

I have a 4 month old Welsh Terrier who refuses to do his business
outside. I'll take him out and he'll sniff around and want to do
something after a minute or two, but instead of doing it, will
literally drag me home for an hour instead of relieving himself. Then,
as soon as he gets home, he'll do it every time. He is on a regular
schedule where he goes out and eats at the same times every day.

He has a spot for him to make on newspapers, but I don't think he's
confused by the papers because 1/2 the time he doesn't bother with them
and just does it where ever he happens to be standing. Plus he's been
behaving like this even before we made a spot for him in the house with
the papers. We try to give him a treat and praise the 2 times a week
that he actually does do something outside, but it doesn't seem to
work.

Any advice on how to make him understand it's OK to make outside?

Thanks

Old January 22nd 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 22 Jan 2006 09:53:11 -0800, "bobby Booey" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I have a 4 month old Welsh Terrier who refuses to do his business
outside.

urine? feces? both?

Then,
as soon as he gets home, he'll do it every time.

Indoors I presume. Don't let him do that. Crate him or tether him to
you and no off leash or play until he eliminates in the yard.

He has a spot for him to make on newspapers, but I don't think he's
confused by the papers because 1/2 the time he doesn't bother with them
and just does it where ever he happens to be standing.

The papers are a bad idea - get rid of them.

Any advice on how to make him understand it's OK to make outside?

Structure and stick to it. He gets taken out to ONE spot. 5 minutes
and nothing, back in and confined for 10 minutes and try again. NO
play, NO walk, NO freedom until he produces. Hang tough - tougher
than him - he'll figure it out.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old January 27th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Structure and stick to it. He gets taken out to ONE spot. 5 minutes
and nothing, back in and confined for 10 minutes and try again. NO
play, NO walk, NO freedom until he produces. Hang tough - tougher
than him - he'll figure it out.

the hanging tough part was very hard for me in the beginning. When I get
home, I put the dogs out. Cali doesn't go potty and when she comes back in,
I can't stand the thought of crating her. I missed them and I wanted to
play!

Anyway, Cali is at the point where she will go potty outside and she knows
she should (I base this on her barking at the door right at the time she has
to pee) but she won't go if she's tied. If I let her out running free, she
will pee and poop no problems but if I tie her out, she refuses to potty.
The reason I must tie her though, is so she doesn't wander too far away
(which she didn't use to do). Now I am stuck and not sure what to do with
her, tie her & wait out the refusal to go potty (reverting back to crating
again when inside) or figure out another solution.