irish Cavaliers

Old January 23rd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default irish Cavaliers

Does anyone know about "puppies by Marie" in Nassau County, N.Y.?
Has anyone had problems with the dogs she sells from Ireland?

Old January 24th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"mep" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know about "puppies by Marie" in Nassau County, N.Y.?
Has anyone had problems with the dogs she sells from Ireland?

I don't know this individual personally, but there are a number of people
selling "Irish Cavaliers" who are not reputable breeders. In fact, they are
simply middlemen for puppy mills.

Given the health issues of the breed, I would insist on seeing heart-clear
vet reports for the parents and grandparents. The grandparents' check
should be dated after the dogs' fifth birthday. If the breeder doesn't have
that, move on.

Don't let ANYONE tell you that their breeding stock is MVD-free. It just
isn't true. The problem lay in the original stock, and there are *no lines*
that are MVD-free. The CKCSC breeding protocol, if followed, can greatly
reduce your pups chance of getting MVD until later in life, but in order for
it to be effective, it needs to be followed... and too few breeders are
doing so.

Sheila

Old January 24th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"mep" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know about "puppies by Marie" in Nassau County, N.Y.?
Has anyone had problems with the dogs she sells from Ireland?

I just need to add one more thing. Most people who are looking at pet
peddled by these puppy mills are looking to avoid paying so much money to a
reputable breeder, or avoiding the wait for a sound puppy.

As far as money goes, the chances are that you are going to end up paying as
much, or more, for that "bargain pup" as you are a well-bred pup. I have
one of each (the puppymill pup having been rescued by a CKCS rescue and put
up for adoption). Within four months, I had spent over $3500 on vet
bills --- persistent diarrhea/gasterenteritis, eye problems, and surgery on
her legs... she had two luxating patellas. Now I have a very loving, but
debilitated, oversized (many of the puppy mill pups are oversized) Cavalier.
Her back legs do not bend. She cannot jump up on the couch. She takes meds
(Metacam) daily for her joints ---- 70 bucks a month.

My well-bred Cavalier cost $1500. Beyond the regular vet
checks/vaccinations, he hasn't cost me much more.

Sheila

Old January 24th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"WhansaMi" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

As far as money goes, the chances are that you are going to
end up paying as much, or more, for that "bargain pup" as
you are a well-bred pup.

For sure. I've been looking after the neatest CKCS every
working day for a year since he was 12 weeks old. He was a
bargain from what seems to be a decent breeder, but apparently
is not to standard so was sold as a pet. He's as healthy as can
be and the owners didn't save a nickle because of his "show"
flaws. But he's healthy, lively, has a great temperament, and
no extraordinary vet bills.

One of my favourite pictures of him:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/CKCSvsRR_04.jpg

Old January 24th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Rocky" wrote in message
"WhansaMi" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

As far as money goes, the chances are that you are going to
end up paying as much, or more, for that "bargain pup" as
you are a well-bred pup.

For sure. I've been looking after the neatest CKCS every
working day for a year since he was 12 weeks old. He was a
bargain from what seems to be a decent breeder, but apparently
is not to standard so was sold as a pet. He's as healthy as can
be and the owners didn't save a nickle because of his "show"
flaws. But he's healthy, lively, has a great temperament, and
no extraordinary vet bills.

One of my favourite pictures of him:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/CKCSvsRR_04.jpg

Awww... a Blenheim. Our Bonnie is a Blenheim. Bailey is a Tri.

Sheila

Old January 25th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"WhansaMi" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

One of my favourite pictures of him:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/CKCSvsRR_04.jpg

Awww... a Blenheim. Our Bonnie is a Blenheim. Bailey is a
Tri.

You've made me ask: Blenheim?

Old January 25th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Rocky wrote in
:

You've made me ask: Blenheim?

Good old "red and white" or "red piebald" are not fancy enough for this
breed :-) Their solids reds are not just "red" either but "Ruby".

Blenheim is a castle or a palace or something, and in the olden days there
used to be a red and white strain of toy spaniels around Blenheim. When
several separate strains/bloodlines were "collected" as the King Charles
Spaniel (English Toy Spaniel), this color morph got to keep the name of its
old home althought it was now just one of the four accepted
colors/patterns. Later Cavs started using the same color names.

Liisa
Old January 25th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Liisa Sarakontu said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

You've made me ask: Blenheim?

Good old "red and white" or "red piebald" are not fancy
enough for this breed :-) Their solids reds are not just
"red" either but "Ruby".

Blenheim is a castle or a palace or something, and in the
olden days there used to be a red and white strain of toy
spaniels around Blenheim. When several separate
strains/bloodlines were "collected" as the King Charles
Spaniel (English Toy Spaniel), this color morph got to keep
the name of its old home althought it was now just one of
the four accepted colors/patterns. Later Cavs started using
the same color names.

Thanks! I'll pass that along to Timmie's owners. Maybe they'll
give me a raise!

Old January 25th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Liisa Sarakontu" wrote in message
Rocky wrote in
:

You've made me ask: Blenheim?

Good old "red and white" or "red piebald" are not fancy enough for this
breed :-)

Yep. And, they'll let you know that, too! They are a wee bit aristocratic!

I was at a Cav show one time. All Cavs. Probably 50 or 60 dogs. Everyone
was all happy, all waggy and smiley.

Then an American Bull Terrier walked in. The Cavs started barking. For two
solid hours they'd been with other dogs, and not a peep. Now all of them
were barking their fool heads off.

Their solids reds are not just "red" either but "Ruby".

Indeed. And beauties they are!

Sheila