Doberman Questions

Old January 24th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Doberman Questions

I have an opportunity to obtain a near three year old female Doberman, rust
color, from an owner who is moving to another location which prevents
continued ownership of the dog. Frankly, I was not expecting much, but was
surprised to see a purebred dog, in healthy condition, cropped ears, docked
tail (a bit short perhaps), nails trimmed, coat without a flaw, and a rather
rambuctious and playful attitude. A few pounds overweight, which the owner
admitted. The dog sniffed us after some warning barks when we came to the
door, but quickly warmed up to us, giving us licks, and loving any
scratching I could give her. The dog has an AKC number, on paperwork that
has what appears to be an official gold AKC stamp on the lower left corner.
There was an abundance of other paperwork on lineage, which I did not have a
chance to go through. The owner bought the dog as a puppy.

I always wanted a Doberman, and having had experience with show Dalmatians
for 12 years, feel we are somewhat experienced in dog handling. We even got
one Dalmatian to do quite well with commands and obedience.

I would like to hear any suggestions on what I should be looking for to make
sure this dog holds no surprises. I asked about barking, being alone,
behavior with other animals, kids (dog was fine with owner's toddler). We
do not need a show dog, but also want to have a good representative example
of a purebred Dobe.
I welcome any and all comments.

Thank you. - Phil

Old January 24th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Phil wrote:

I would like to hear any suggestions on what I should be looking for to make
sure this dog holds no surprises. I asked about barking, being alone,
behavior with other animals, kids (dog was fine with owner's toddler). We
do not need a show dog, but also want to have a good representative example
of a purebred Dobe.
I welcome any and all comments.

First, ignore that incoherent crap from Dallygirl, she's a troll.

It sounds like this is a nice dog. There's really nothing to look for
that you haven't already looked for. The best Doberman guardians are
those kept as house pets. They want to be bonded to you and will want to
be physically very close to you, so if it annoys you to have a dog
follow you from room to room this might not be a great idea. I'd suggest
an obedience class and then some other fun classes like Rally and
agility--Dobermans like to have something mental and physical to do.

You've had Dals so you know that exercise is the secret to happy
living--it goes for Dobes too. I would suggest you spay her if she's not
already spayed.

Health issues include Wobbers syndrome, vonWillebrand's disease, and
cardiomyopathy. Wobblers is characterized by an unsteady gait, walking
"wide" in back, and falling down easily as well as (sometimes) yelps of
pain for no apparent reason.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on what you want, I'd say go for it!
Old January 24th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

after 12years 'experience he "even got one dog to do quite well with
commands and obedience"
that robin is where my problem lies and it was not incoherant.

if you take the dobermann on phil then do start some classes with your
dog,they need the excercise and mental stimulation.
i am not a troll ive seen all this before and i hope this story ends a
happy one with me proven wrong,whatever you chose phil make sure you go
into this with your eyes open.

Old January 24th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

he best Doberman guardians are
those kept as house pets. They want to be bonded to you and
will want to be physically very close to you, so if it
annoys you to have a dog follow you from room to room this
might not be a great idea. I'd suggest an obedience class
and then some other fun classes like Rally and
agility--Dobermans like to have something mental and
physical to do.

I've a very nice Dobie bitch sharing my couch right now:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Obie03.jpg
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Obie04.jpg

Since the last time I mentioned her, Obie has now joined my
agility school and is taking to it like..., well, like a
Dobermann to agility. Enthusiatic, energetic, intelligent, but
a bit gangly. At 9 months, she hasn't really grown into her
legs.

Old January 24th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

on 2006-01-24 at 17:08 wrote:

I've a very nice Dobie bitch sharing my couch right now:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Obie03.jpg
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Obie04.jpg

oh man, is she ever purty. Dobes are one of those breeds that
are not exactly perfect for me, but that i really, really
like, and would seriously consider living with if one landed
in my lap.

Enthusiatic, energetic, intelligent, but a bit gangly. At 9
months, she hasn't really grown into her legs.

she sounds charming! i love that gangly stage. it passes far
too quickly.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
Old January 24th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"shelly" wrote in message:

oh man, is she ever purty. Dobes are one of those breeds that
are not exactly perfect for me, but that i really, really
like, and would seriously consider living with if one landed
in my lap.

In all this time, I have met exactly one that I didn't like. And he was
more a reflection on the owner than anything else. That man just did not
understand the concept of personal space, and neither did the dog. At least
the dog was still young; don't know what the owner's excuse was. I'm not
sure how many ways there are to interpret having anyone and everyone you are
speaking with back away from you constantly.

Suja

Old January 24th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

on 2006-01-24 at 12:49 wrote:

In all this time, I have met exactly one that I didn't like.

i've yet to meet a Dobe i didn't like, but they aren't that
popular here. we had a big red male when i was a kid, and he
was a peach, definitely one of the most rock solid dogs i've
ever known. and, this was at the height of the Dobes are
Eeevil 1970s.

And he was more a reflection on the owner than anything else.
That man just did not understand the concept of personal
space, and neither did the dog. At least the dog was still
young; don't know what the owner's excuse was. I'm not sure
how many ways there are to interpret having anyone and
everyone you are speaking with back away from you constantly.

clearly, it means you're supposed to step closer. duh!

http://www.cat-sidh.net
Old January 24th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

oh man, is she ever purty. Dobes are one of those breeds that
are not exactly perfect for me, but that i really, really
like, and would seriously consider living with if one landed
in my lap.

Same here. I [heart] Dobies and Rotties, but other breeds work
out better for my lifestyle. It works out well that I get paid
to spend time with breeds I like but will probably never own.

Old January 24th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

That man just did not
understand the concept of personal space, and neither did
the dog.

Friday teaches personal space well, at least with goofy nekkid
dogs. I'm not sure how he'd do with goofy nekkid dogs' owners.

Old January 24th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Rocky wrote in
:

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

That man just did not
understand the concept of personal space, and neither did
the dog.

Friday teaches personal space well, at least with goofy nekkid
dogs. I'm not sure how he'd do with goofy nekkid dogs' owners.

You can teach that quite well yourself with foods heavy in Garlic and
onions. Not washing for several days and mumbling to yourself (pretend you
are a grad student in science) is also a great way to do this.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/