Help - dog scared of the kitchen

Old January 25th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Help - dog scared of the kitchen

Hi all,

I'm really confused by all of this. When I arrived home last night, my
1 year old Retriever was sat shaking in the conservatory and would not
enter the kitchen/dining room (ajoining) at all. She was happy to go
outside, but is really scared of the kitchen.

Having finally coaxed her through the kitchen, she is happy in the
lounge and upstairs, but still will not enter the kitchen.

We thought at first that perhaps a mouse or rat was present which had
bitten her, but we can find no evidence and the fact that our cat is
immune to all of this seems to point to a different cause.

It has been suggested that perhaps someone climbed into the house
through the dog flap and terrorised my dog, but I am not sure as she
was confident going through the dog flap.

Does anyone have any idea of how to reassure my dog and give her
confidence to enter the kitchen again - or perhaps have an idea of what
is going on?

Many thanks,
Mark

Old January 26th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I remember a call a few years ago on NPR about a problem like this. They
figured it had to do with the look or feel of the kitchen floor. They
suggested using an inexpensive, runner-type carpet across the kitchen floor
(like to the food bowl). After the dog showed that it would walk across the
carpet comfortably, they would cut a foot or so off of it. It could take a
while, but eventually the carpet would be small enough to remove and
hopefully the dog had gotten used to the floor. I think it had to do with
the shine making the floor look wet or invisible to the dog. I'm confident
that forcing her in the kitchen would scar her, but some treats and pets
might help her ease her way in. Good luck
Deb
oups.com...