growth still growing in the mouth. so worried

Old March 10th 04, 05:03 AM

Default growth still growing in the mouth. so worried

I live in singapore. I have a 9 year old pekingnese dog that recently
have a growth along the gumline in his lower jaw. (about the size of
the grape). I went to see 2 vets. The first vet told me that it is
just a normal gum infection and just take a jap with some antibiotic
will reduce the lump, otherwise come to visit her again in 2 weeks
time. After 2 weeks passed, the thing inside his mouth still growing
big and very messy.

After taking a day leave from the company and I decided to see the vet
again. BUT it is the clinic off day! I went to visit another vet and
this old man told me that it is probably a swollen lymph nodes and
best to remove it off asap. But after examine my dog heartbeat , he
said that it maybe too risky as my dog have a weak heart. He gave me
2 option to select, whether to put the dog to sleep or have the
surgery to remove the lump but with no guarantee (Can you imagine how
I felt at that point of time?). I cried in the clinic and beg tbe vet
to perform surgery (even the chances is 50-50) and to try his best to
save my dog.

After the operation, I was very glad and relieved to see my dog alive
and kicking in the pet cage. The vet told me if the growth come back
again, it will difinitely be cancerous. Now 2 weeks been passed, and
yes the growth came back again. I am very sad, what should I do ? can
anyone help or advise ?

Thanks in advance.

linda
Old March 10th 04, 04:00 PM
Jean Staffen

Yes, Linda, that is so sad. I lost a dear dog at 16 from a stroke. As hard
as it is, you have to think of the dog first, before yourself. Is he in
pain? Can he eat? Did the vet run a test to see if it is cancer?

om...

Old March 11th 04, 07:16 AM

"Jean Staffen" wrote in message ...
Yes, Linda, that is so sad. I lost a dear dog at 16 from a stroke. As hard
as it is, you have to think of the dog first, before yourself. Is he in
pain? Can he eat? Did the vet run a test to see if it is cancer?

So sorry to hear sad news from you. It's very heartache for me to make
a decision to put the dog to sleep. My lovely black full mask lion dog
still looks so excited wheh seeing me coming home from work, waggling
it's bushy tail. Although he look daze and tire and not playing with
toys anymore..I just can't bear to see and don't wish him to die..

If god could grant me a wish.. I wish my black mask lion dog can live
for another few years..atleast to see my 1st born child due end of the
year..

linda
Old March 11th 04, 03:31 PM
Colleen

Unless the vet took a biopsy of the growth that was removed you can't
be certain what you are dealing with. The first question to ask is
"What were the results of the biopsy taken from the removed growth."

If they say they didn't take a biopsy ask why? Was it because they
could tell by looking that it was cancerous?

Next you need to ask your vet what if anything can be done for your
dog from here? Is there chemo and if not is there medication you can
give your baby when pain becomes an issue. Managing pain will allow
you to have a bit more time.
For now he seems to be doing okay. Try feeding soft foods for now or
things he can just wolf down without having to chew much.

Good luck. Poor baby.
Old March 11th 04, 10:20 PM
Colleen

Try this site and see if it looks like what your dog has.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/Softtissue.htm

Many dogs develop an "epulis", which looks basically like a growth on
the
gum.
Without a biopsy you can't tell if it is malignant or not. If it is
benign taking a wait and see approach might be enough. IF it is benign
you could simply have recurring growths removed during routine
teeth-cleaning (say once a year) and kill 2 birds with one stone.

You might want to check out laser surgery as well.
Old March 13th 04, 04:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your precious input. I will check with the vet again..

linda
Old March 13th 04, 07:21 PM
Pat

wrote in message
om...
[...]

So sorry to hear about your dog.
As we are all dog lovers here ...we all know what you must feel like right
now.
If it is cancer the dog will tell you when it is time.
Once the dog cannot eat any more that will be the time to let the dog go.
As hard as it seems it what is best for the dog.
Again I am so sorry to hear about your dog.
Pat.

MOUTH GROWTH jokerpit Dog health 4 July 25th 03 07:36 PM
MOUTH GROWTH jokerpit Dog health 0 July 24th 03 06:07 PM