clavamox/bladder infection

Old January 27th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default clavamox/bladder infection

We have a 7 month old beagle/dachshund mix that has had a persistent
bladder infection problem since we brought her home at 7 weeks of age.
When she is taking the Clavamox the symtoms of very frequent urination
subside and after a couple of weeks on the med she will get a clean
bill of health on a urine sample, only to once again show signs of
infection after perhaps a week of being off of the med. Our vet wants
her to go through one heat before he spays her and he says that in very
many of these cases that solves the problem. My concern is that she
has been on Clavamox for about 5 months and at present he prescribed a
dosage of 250 mg twice a day. Pfizer's web site says no more than 30
days and 6.25 mg for each pound of weight. She weighs about 33 pounds.
Any help or comments would be appreciated

Old January 27th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . com,
rmarin wrote:
Our vet wants
her to go through one heat before he spays her

Did he say why? The likelihood of mammary cancer goes up if
she goes into heat, which is why many vets recommend spaying
before the first heat.

and he says that in very
many of these cases that solves the problem.

If he hasn't done a culture sensitivity test I'd ask him
what the heck he's been waiting for. There are other
antibiotics out there.

I once had an elderly bitch with a raft of health problems,
one of which was an extremely persistent UTI. She
eventually ended up on maintenance doses of Clavamox for the
remainder of her life. But 1) we did try to find an
antibiotic to which the bacteria weren't resistant, 2) the
Clavamox was effective while she was on it, and 3) the UTI
was caused by another underlying health problem and that
needed to be addressed, as well.

The Bush agenda may speed the reform of American health care, but only
by hastening the day the current system falls apart -- The Economist