Moving from country to city

Old January 31st 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Moving from country to city

We're in the process of moving from the country to the city and plan to
bring our two yellow labs with us. These two dogs have always lived
outside, and have never been leashed. Do you think it's possible to do
this? Our new house has a large (yet unfenced) back yard. Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Hamhocker

Old January 31st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"hamhocker" wrote in message
oups.com...
We're in the process of moving from the country to the city and plan to
bring our two yellow labs with us. These two dogs have always lived
outside, and have never been leashed. Do you think it's possible to do
this? Our new house has a large (yet unfenced) back yard. Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Hamhocker

get the yard fenced ASAP. not only will your neighbors apprechiate it, it
will be best for the safety of the dogs as well.

Old January 31st 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

hamhocker wrote:
We're in the process of moving from the country to the city and plan to
bring our two yellow labs with us. These two dogs have always lived
outside, and have never been leashed. Do you think it's possible to do
this? Our new house has a large (yet unfenced) back yard. Any
suggestions?

Yes. Not only should you get the yard fenced ASAP as Davina suggests,
but you should also plan to never leave your dogs outside unattended
for more than a short time. If you're a good city neighbor, you'll
quickly learn exactly how long a "short time" is. Dogs barking outside
out of boredom or for no discernible reason quickly create animosity
among city neighbors. Dogs left unattended in city yards are also,
sadly, susceptible to mischievous or malicious passersby. It's not
unheard of for kids or others to toss things into another's yard, be it
toys, garbage, or poison. You shouldn't be paranoid, but you should be
vigilant about observing the customs of your particular neighborhood.
Be sure to ask your new neighbors about good vets, feed stores, and
other suppliers in the area.

As for the dogs themselves, they'll love living inside along with your
family. Take them each separately to obedience training classes to get
a handle on what good house and leash manners they have the potential
for. Practice your obedience tasks with them frequently throughout the
day to engage their minds and develop a closer bond with them. Think
about whether, where, and how often you'll take them for stimulation
and exercise to supplement what they'll get in addition to the focused
play times you'll have with them in your new yard.

And enjoy the city!

Cate