Cushings disease and my Scottish Terrier

Old January 31st 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Cushings disease and my Scottish Terrier

Does anyone have any info about Cushings? The vet gave my Scottish
Terrier, Sophie, a possible diagnosis (we won't know for sure until
next Tuesday when they take xrays and an ultrasound). I've been reading
about the disease and I'm very concerned. Sophie is almost nine years
old and is exhibiting several symptoms. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks!

Old February 1st 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"kat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any info about Cushings? The vet gave my Scottish
Terrier, Sophie, a possible diagnosis (we won't know for sure until
next Tuesday when they take xrays and an ultrasound). I've been reading
about the disease and I'm very concerned. Sophie is almost nine years
old and is exhibiting several symptoms. Any info would be helpful.

.........What else are they looking for? Cushings is usually diagnosed
through blood tests.

This is a good page on Cushings:
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

You also may find information at Scottish terrier sites.

I'd join the yahoo list for Cushings if your dog gets diagnosed:

Old February 1st 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thanks so much for the links. Apparently, they are looking for tumors
in the pituitary or adrenal gland to see if it is Cushings. They will
also do more blood tests. Her initial tests showed elevated levels of
alkaline phosphatase which is why the vet thought she might have
Cushings. Thanks again for the info!

Kat

Old March 4th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

My 8 yr old baby was dx with the disease last month, after having Low dose
Dexamethasone Suppression blood test and Acth Stimulation blood test. she
hasn't had an xray or ultrasound yet. I started her on Ketaconazole 1ml
twice a day, friday, feb 24th. She is really sick right now so I do not
know if the med is working. (have her at the vet hospital now for
observation) She also is suffering extreme pain from Patellar Luxation but
we can not do surgery cause the disease is not under control and she won't
heal well. I am concerned about the meds that are prescribed for
Cushing's. they can be very dangerous. Please research and ask lots of
questions. Google.com is my best friend right now. Be careful with the
meds they choose. Anipryl (I read) is a good choice, with little side
effects. Some dogs do not respond to the med I have chosen. I may ask to
change to Aniplyl in a week or so of no change. search
www.peteducation.com, www.healthypet.com and
www.cushings-help.com/pets.htm
good luck