hair loss and severe dandruff

Old January 31st 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default hair loss and severe dandruff

I have a 2 year old Maltese who had eye surgery in November. Since the
surgery, he has been losing hair and now has SEVERE dandruff. He has been
off all medication for 5 weeks, and the conditions continues to get worse.
The hair loss started on his trunk and is now around his head and neck too.
He has one patch on his side that is quite bare. The dandruff started in a
small spot on one side and has spread to almost his entire body. This is not
mild dandruff--it is skin covered with lots of scales. His skin is very dry
and puckery. He doesn't seem to be itching more than usual, but he does
seem as if his skin hurts when I brush him. He has no sores, fleas, mites,
etc. Yes, I've change his shampoo, diet, and anything that could possibly
cause an allergic reaction. I am asking if anyone knows what this is and
what I can do about it. He has not been tested for Cushings yet because he
doesn't have the other symptoms of Cushings. I will have him tested in
March, but I'm hoping I can get some answers here at this time. The vet
seems to think it is dry skin from the winter weather.