Intermittent Scratching

Old February 1st 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Intermittent Scratching

Pan (5 year old spayed female Great Dane) has these episodes where she gets
scratchy. Sometimes, she'll go months without any problems, and sometimes
she'll do this 2 or 3 days out of the week. She almost always starts
scratching herself very early in the morning (around 3 or 4, could be as
late as 6 or 7), and it will continue for a few hours, until after she has
eaten. It is always the same spot, on her left shoulder.

The only time the pattern was different was the night after I put Frontline
on her, when she started scratching herself around midnight, and continued
into the morning (gave her a low dose of Benadryl, she went to sleep for a
couple of hours, went back to scratching, gave her another one, and that was
that). No more Frontline for her until I talk to the vet.

When Pan came to me a couple of years ago, she did have goopy ears and eyes,
and recurrent infections of her vulva. Most likely allergic to the cats she
was living with, as the start of all that coincided with their arrival.
That has long since cleared up, and we haven't had any issues, but it does
appear that she may have sensitivities/allergies. However, this
presentation appears to be pretty different from what I have seen or read
about.

She eats Solid Gold WolfKing as her base kibble, but I mix a little bit of
everything into it, on a rotating basis (canned, freeze dried raw, raw meat,
etc.). In addition, she gets the occasional raw meal. I have not been able
to find any correlation between what she is fed and her scratching episodes,
as she goes months without any problems, and starts up rather suddenly.

Any ideas on what is going on? Last time we were there, the vet was joking
that we seem to come in for something or the other once every 3 months. It
must be time for us to go back.

Suja

Old February 1st 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Suja" wrote in message
Pan (5 year old spayed female Great Dane) has these episodes where she

gets
scratchy. Sometimes, she'll go months without any problems, and sometimes
she'll do this 2 or 3 days out of the week. She almost always starts
scratching herself very early in the morning (around 3 or 4, could be as
late as 6 or 7), and it will continue for a few hours, until after she has
eaten. It is always the same spot, on her left shoulder.

When Pan came to me a couple of years ago, she did have goopy ears and

eyes,
and recurrent infections of her vulva

.........interesting. Actually I think someone who practices acupuncture may
help. The major meridian that runs through the shoulder is the Small
Intestine. There are also some points on the shoulder for lung and heart.
If you have a big bookstore near you see if you can locate 4 Paws, 5
Directions, by Cheryl Schwartz, DVM. Allan Schoen also has an acupuncture
book.

........You' ve kept a log of additions to her food and are absolutely sure
it's not food related? How about seasonal?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 2nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"buglady" wrote in message:

........interesting. Actually I think someone who practices acupuncture

may
help. The major meridian that runs through the shoulder is the Small
Intestine. There are also some points on the shoulder for lung and heart.

I guess when I have them work on the hips, I should mention this as well. I
have been dragging my feet on getting her to the Acupuncturist; her hips
have been a little better since I switched her to Liquid Health 5000. Now
that DH has consented though, I should get it done before he changes his
mind.

If you have a big bookstore near you see if you can locate 4 Paws, 5
Directions, by Cheryl Schwartz, DVM. Allan Schoen also has an acupuncture
book.

I'll check the library, Borders and B&N. Thanks a bunch! This was driving
me bananas.

.......You' ve kept a log of additions to her food and are absolutely sure
it's not food related?

Positive. Unless there is something else going on here that I'm not
associating - like DH feeding contraband. The nephew has been here the past
4 days, and she has been itchy 2 of those days, but he is generally quite
good about not feeding them and tattling on anyone who does.

How about seasonal?

Entirely possible. Her skin does get a little dry and flaky over winter,
although this year has not been bad at all. What I don't understand is why
she is itchy in just that one spot.

My worry is that there is something going on underneath - in the bone or
joint that is irritating her, and since it is in a place that she can't
reach with her mouth, she's scratching at it instead.

Suja

Old February 2nd 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Suja" wrote in message
I guess when I have them work on the hips, I should mention this as well.

.........oh yeah, if you already have one on tap, do mention it and see what
they say. Try to locate the exact place she's scratching.

My worry is that there is something going on underneath - in the bone or
joint that is irritating her, and since it is in a place that she can't
reach with her mouth, she's scratching at it instead.

........could be a possibility also.