Can dogs experience separation anxiety from other dogs?

Old February 6th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Can dogs experience separation anxiety from other dogs?

I have a 5 year old australian shepherd named sweep. She is a
fantastically well behaved dog...or was until recently. We recently
moved into an apartment from a house(not the first time though) we had
to leave a second 7 month old aussie behind as he is not ready for city
living yet. She barely eats whether I'm home or not. She is sleeping
18+ hours a day, she's snapping at other dogs in the elevator and she's
just generally looking a little depressed.

We have been in the apartment now for almost three weeks. She has moved
before, many times while I was in college, there has never been a
problem adjusting, the only difference this time is that we had a
second dog. Sebastian(the second aussie) became a great playmate for
sweep. she played with him all day everyday since we brought him home.

I was wondering if her change in behaviour could be partially due to
the separation from her canine companion???

Anyone with any ideas please share...

thank you
Amanda

Old February 6th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 5 Feb 2006 22:41:06 -0800, , clicked their
heels and said:

we had
to leave a second 7 month old aussie behind as he is not ready for city
living yet.

what exactly does this mean?

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old February 6th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

we had
to leave a second 7 month old aussie behind as he is not ready for city
living yet.

what exactly does this mean?

I was wondering the same thing.

Old February 7th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I expect she is stressed out by the whole moving thing
*and* being seperated from her companion. These are major
changes for a dog and it can affect their behaviour and
health. She sounds quite depressed but I would take her to
the vet for a check up just in case she is ill.
DAP diffusers can help relax a dog , though not all dogs
respond to it. You'll find more info about DAP if you do a
search on- line.

Gill White recommends creating a comfort zone.
*Comfort Zone is a place the dog would choose at home to
rest/sleep
in, not a place the owner gives access to or chooses. So, if
for
example a dog had access to anywhere in the home - what you
need to
know is were would she keep going to rest/sleep. It maybe on
sofa, on
your bed, under a table etc. This is her comfort zone and
now needs
enhancing by feeding in it, making sure water is available
at it and
spending time in it yourself with your dog.
Where ever she chooses, you could put up baby gates to block
her
access to the whole of the house. You can put a duvet in
there, her
toys , a piece of your unwashed clothing. spend at least
half an hour
a day in there with her or as near as possible. *

Alison

Old February 7th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Dear Puppy wizzard? I'm not at my wits end. I'm just a little worried.
I'm not an animal abuser. The reason I said sebastian wasn't ready for
the city is because I haven't been to training school with him yet. We
are going in march and then he will be coming here. He isn't a hyper
dog on the contrary...he is extremely lazy for an aussie. Once we are
done training school I will bring him here to Toronto and begin to show
him the transit system, beaches, busy roads etc. Right now he is in a
small town with my father in the home that he has just spent the last 6
months...he is doing fine. Please don't jump down my throat for
posting a message on here I just thought someone might be willing to
help me.
My vet is in his office tomorrow and I left a message for him.
Thank you anyway puppy wizzard.

Old February 7th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Dear Janet B. I posted a response it's listed 8 or 9 on this page to
furthur explain.