Best breeds for people with allergies?

Old February 8th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Best breeds for people with allergies?

I have friends who are somewhat allergic to dogs. I'm thinking about
getting one of the terriers - maybe a Norwich or Cairn. Any data on
whether these breeds are particularly good or bad for people with
allergies?

....Unknown
Old February 8th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Steve" wrote in message
I have friends who are somewhat allergic to dogs. I'm thinking about
getting one of the terriers - maybe a Norwich or Cairn. Any data on
whether these breeds are particularly good or bad for people with
allergies?

...Unknown

We have a son who is asthmatic and has bad allergies. Our boxer can sleep
in the same bed as him and not affect his allergies one bit.

Old February 8th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:08:12 GMT, "TexasChic" ,
clicked their heels and said:

We have a son who is asthmatic and has bad allergies. Our boxer can sleep
in the same bed as him and not affect his allergies one bit.

In contrast, Boxers and similar breeds, drive me (asthma and
allergies) NUTS, but my long haired dogs do not.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old February 8th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:08:12 GMT, "TexasChic" ,
clicked their heels and said:

We have a son who is asthmatic and has bad allergies. Our boxer can sleep
in the same bed as him and not affect his allergies one bit.

In contrast, Boxers and similar breeds, drive me (asthma and
allergies) NUTS, but my long haired dogs do not.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bestfr...bedience/album

That is odd. My parents have two long-haired dogs (chihuahua and terrier)
and my son always gets stirred up when he is around them.

Old February 8th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:49:51 GMT, "TexasChic" ,
clicked their heels and said:

That is odd. My parents have two long-haired dogs (chihuahua and terrier)
and my son always gets stirred up when he is around them.

different people, different allergic reactions. Very short-haired
dogs, with short, stiff hairs ("sleek") bother me more than anything
hairy. Dobes, Boxers, all of the bull breeds, Rotties. Give me a
Golden any day!

Old February 8th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

That is odd. My parents have two long-haired dogs (chihuahua and terrier)
and my son always gets stirred up when he is around them.

Keep in mind too, that tolerance builds for those dogs we're
constantly exposed to, and "strange" dogs are more likely to cause a
problem.

Old February 8th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Janet B" wrote in message
That is odd. My parents have two long-haired dogs (chihuahua and
terrier)
and my son always gets stirred up when he is around them.

Keep in mind too, that tolerance builds for those dogs we're
constantly exposed to, and "strange" dogs are more likely to cause a
problem.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bestfr...bedience/album

Very true.

For a second I thought you were calling my boxer strange! Not that you
would be far off. ; )

Old February 8th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 2006-02-08 16:54:09 -0500, Janet B
said:

different people, different allergic reactions

Yup-

That's why it's best for the person with allergies, etc. to spend time
with a particular breed or particular dog to determine whether the dog
will be ok in the household.

That is exactly what we did. The allergies would, is some cases, trigger an
asthmatic attack with our son. We were so glad that our friends boxer had
no affect on him. My husband had a boxer and a GSD growing up and really
wanted one of the two. GSD was the first test and it did not go well.

Old February 8th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:59:29 GMT, "TexasChic" ,
clicked their heels and said:

For a second I thought you were calling my boxer strange! Not that you
would be far off. ; )

LOL - aren't all Boxers strange? ;-D

It's really hard, in my business, to keep my hands off some of these
dogs, who are so silly and appealing in so many ways. But, I'd need
to stop doing what I do if I continue to cave, so I remind myself
pretty effectively.