is this ok?

Old February 10th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default is this ok?

Maui (neutered almost a year ago) recently tried mounting/humping Cali. He
did it twice in the past 3 days. I was wondering if this is behavior I
should discourage or if this is acceptable and I should just leave it be. I
understand that not all mounting is sexual so maybe I shouldn't care and
just let them work it out. Maybe Maui is trying to show he's dominate over
Cali? For what it's worth, Cali is almost 6 months old so she will be
spayed very soon but isn't yet. Also, will her spaying have an affect on
either her or Maui's behavior? Thanks.

Old February 10th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

MauiJNP wrote:
Maui (neutered almost a year ago) recently tried mounting/humping Cali. He
did it twice in the past 3 days. I was wondering if this is behavior I
should discourage or if this is acceptable and I should just leave it be. I
understand that not all mounting is sexual so maybe I shouldn't care and
just let them work it out. Maybe Maui is trying to show he's dominate over
Cali? For what it's worth, Cali is almost 6 months old so she will be
spayed very soon but isn't yet. Also, will her spaying have an affect on
either her or Maui's behavior? Thanks.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to stop it... Gordo and
Ghile were both neutered before they were a year old (Chile at 6
mos, Gordo at 9 mos, IIRC), and at 14.5 years, he still tries to
hump her... well, air hump. He never quite got it right. It
never seemed to bother her, in fact, she hardly seems to notice.
I don't know how to interpret it. It doesn't seem likely that
it's sexual, and she has always been more dominant than him.

Then there's Oppie, also neutered around 6 mos., who side-air
humped Dylan for 9 years, until she died. He'd lay his head on
her back and go at it. And she mostly ignored him, or walked
away leaving him humpin' away at nothing. He's been observed
making the same moves in the general direction of Chile (no
contact), who weighs 8 lb to his 78. Sexual? Dominance? Dylan
was always alpha to Oppie's "don't care as long as I get fed." I
have no idea.

FurPaw
--
"...curious...that women would move from playing with Barbie to
denouncing Barbie to remaking themselves as Barbie."

To reply, unleash the dog
Old February 10th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 21:48:33 -0500, "MauiJNP" wrote:

Maui (neutered almost a year ago) recently tried mounting/humping Cali. He
did it twice in the past 3 days. I was wondering if this is behavior I
should discourage or if this is acceptable and I should just leave it be. I
understand that not all mounting is sexual so maybe I shouldn't care and
just let them work it out. Maybe Maui is trying to show he's dominate over
Cali? For what it's worth, Cali is almost 6 months old so she will be
spayed very soon but isn't yet. Also, will her spaying have an affect on
either her or Maui's behavior? Thanks.

It isn't always sexual. It depends on how the other dog reacts to it
and how you feel about it what you want to do about it. Sammie tries
to hump the bigger dogs. I don't allow it because I don't like it
even though the dogs ignore him.
--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old February 12th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
Maui (neutered almost a year ago) recently tried mounting/humping Cali.
He did it twice in the past 3 days. I was wondering if this is behavior I
should discourage or if this is acceptable and I should just leave it be.
I understand that not all mounting is sexual so maybe I shouldn't care and
just let them work it out. Maybe Maui is trying to show he's dominate
over Cali? For what it's worth, Cali is almost 6 months old so she will
be spayed very soon but isn't yet. Also, will her spaying have an affect
on either her or Maui's behavior? Thanks.

That sort of thing tends to me dominance/submissive related.
My Rottie bitch invites our CockerX to show this behaviour by sliding her
head under the much smaller dogs chest.
It's quite funny, actually.
William Robb

Old February 12th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"William Robb" composed
these thoughts and posted them :

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
Maui (neutered almost a year ago) recently tried mounting/humping
Cali. He did it twice in the past 3 days. I was wondering if this is
behavior I should discourage or if this is acceptable and I should
just leave it be. I understand that not all mounting is sexual so
maybe I shouldn't care and just let them work it out. Maybe Maui is
trying to show he's dominate over Cali? For what it's worth, Cali is
almost 6 months old so she will be spayed very soon but isn't yet.
Also, will her spaying have an affect on either her or Maui's
behavior? Thanks.

That sort of thing tends to me dominance/submissive related.
My Rottie bitch invites our CockerX to show this behaviour by sliding
her head under the much smaller dogs chest.
It's quite funny, actually.
William Robb

That's fine, but I don't allow it.