GSD with thrombocytopenia

Old March 12th 04, 03:19 PM
Sheila Fenning

Default GSD with thrombocytopenia

My 4 year old GSD has been diagnosed as having immune-mediated
thrombocytopenia. Her platelets were down to 15 when she was first
diagnosed 2 months ago. She has been on prednisolone 12 per day which was
reduced to 10 per day 2 weeks ago. Her platelets have now fallen again from
200 to 80. The drugs are giving her real muscle weakness and she no longer
wants to go for a walk. Is there anyone out there with experienced of this
dreadful disease. I just want her to have a good quality life which she
isn't getting at the moment. I ask myself is it the time to put her at
rest.

Old March 13th 04, 02:36 AM
Spot

You should probably post this over on alt.med.veterinary to get their
insight on to how to handle thing.

Good Luck
Celeste

Old March 13th 04, 11:05 AM

"Sheila Fenning" wrote in message
My 4 year old GSD has been diagnosed as having immune-mediated
thrombocytopenia.

I know of two people who had this with their standard poodles. From what i
understand, thrombocytopenia means lack of, or unusually low numbers of
platelets in the blood. Below normal platelet count; platelets are needed
for blood clotting.

Both dogs were taken to Cornell for treatment, as this is generally out of
the realm of expertise of a generalist vet. Here are two websites that you
can look over, discuss with your vet and seek more experienced guidance.

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...rts%20Bleeding

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/im...ocytopenia.htm

Ruth + Gretta, one old weim + Woody, the corgimon and Thelma, the three
legged wonder cat