Best Flooring For Small Dogs? - Laminate?

Old February 13th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

Default Best Flooring For Small Dogs? - Laminate?

I'm thinking about changing from carpet to Laminate and would like your
opinion. I think Laminate would be great and easy to clean. I have
two chihuahuas, so I don't think their nails will be a problem. The
only thing that worries me is the occasional "accident". Right now
they use their pads very well - but from time to time they pee
somewhere their not suppose to. I think this could be fixed by
retraining - but if they happen to have an accident on Laminate
flooring - what are the effects? Will it warp or mess up the finish if
it sits there for a day(s)? Let me know what think - Laminate flooring
a good or bad idea?

Old February 13th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

composed these thoughts and posted them
oups.com:

I'm thinking about changing from carpet to Laminate and would like your
opinion. I think Laminate would be great and easy to clean. I have
two chihuahuas, so I don't think their nails will be a problem. The
only thing that worries me is the occasional "accident". Right now
they use their pads very well - but from time to time they pee
somewhere their not suppose to. I think this could be fixed by
retraining - but if they happen to have an accident on Laminate
flooring - what are the effects? Will it warp or mess up the finish if
it sits there for a day(s)? Let me know what think - Laminate flooring
a good or bad idea?

I put laminate floors in last year. i currently have 5 dogs here and 2
of them small puppies. Accidents have not hurt the floors, but I wipe
them right up as they happen. The instructions when I got the floors were
to DAMP (NOT!!!!! WET) mop them as moisture collected would invalidate
the warranty and cause warping. They handed me a floor cleaner mist spray
and said do not get the floor any wetter than that. Clean u p spills
right away.

1 Year later, so far so good.

Because we butcher in oour kitchen, and I didn't think the industrial
size mess we make of floors there would be suited to mist spray cleaning,
I put in ceramic tile floors there.

I love the easy maintenence of the Laminate flooring. The Ceramic
flooring is only a little harder to clean. Both are a huge improvement
over carpets.

On the laminant flooring though, any spill, tracked in snow, etc, is
cleaned up pronto. I can't imagine letting a pee spot sit anywhere for
"days?"

Old February 15th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

What I meant by "days" was, if they wonder off and pee in a corner, and
I don't see/smell it until a few days later - is my flooring ruined?

Thanks for the advice - I will check on the sealant suggestion.