My dog acting out...

Old February 14th 06, 06:29 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default My dog acting out...

"Jeffrey Burns" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Can training help correct this or is the stress of
competing with our child too much for him at this age?

Even though changes in behaviour are often a result of changes
in circumstance, it's a good idea to first rule out health
issues, especially with a middle-aged dog. See a vet before you
decide on a course of action.

Old February 14th 06, 08:43 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Need some help...

I have a 9 year old cross (terrier and apso) who has had some issues since
my son was born 11 months ago. Just recently since my son has become more
mobile and aware my dog has been acting out more...and just not being
himself. He's been tearing the garbage apart, doing his business on the
carpet, on the bed, snarling at everyone and being aggressive... and just
tonight (after he pee'd on the bed) he bit me.

I'm assuming he bit me because he knew he was in trouble over that... but
this behaviour is totally out of character.

Can training help correct this or is the stress of competing with our child
too much for him at this age?

Thanks

----------------------
Jeffrey Burns

My Drum Site - http://makedrumsbeat.tripod.com/

My Band Site - http://makedrumsbeat.tripod.com/anthem

**Give them a click**

Old February 16th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:43:44 -0800, Jeffrey Burns wrote:
Need some help...

I have a 9 year old cross (terrier and apso) who has had some issues since
my son was born 11 months ago. Just recently since my son has become more
mobile and aware my dog has been acting out more...and just not being
himself. He's been tearing the garbage apart, doing his business on the
carpet, on the bed, snarling at everyone and being aggressive... and just
tonight (after he pee'd on the bed) he bit me.

I'm assuming he bit me because he knew he was in trouble over that... but
this behaviour is totally out of character.

Can training help correct this or is the stress of competing with our child
too much for him at this age?

Yes, training can help, and you need to get on with it immediately.
Snarling and biting around an 11-month-old toddler? Big, big trouble
waiting to happen.

* Reform California gun laws - http://www.reformcagunlaws.com/ *
* http://www.gunownersca.com - http://www.crpa.org/ *
* San Diego shooters come to http://shooting.forsandiego.com/ *
Old February 21st 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

You have to remember that when you go through major life changes such as a
child, moving, ect. that your pet goes through those changes too. Training
needs to happen. Your dog is saying give me attention when he gets into
the trash or chews things up. I can understand that when you have a child
your dog get less attention, and now your dog thinks that he needs to
compete with your child. Just like you would with your child, take time to
spend with your dog, and include your baby, such as taking him for a walk,
and even throwing a ball. Good luck and don't give up.