Question re Maltese dogs

Old February 14th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Question re Maltese dogs

Hello - I have a question.
We had a sweet male Maltese who didn't like to be
held on our laps. He was definitely not a lap dog.
Are all Maltese like this or does it depend on the individual dog?
If we bought a female Maltese would she be more apt to
enjoy being held on our laps?
---Sea

Old February 14th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"~~seadancer~~" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

We had a sweet male Maltese who didn't like to be
held on our laps. He was definitely not a lap dog.
Are all Maltese like this or does it depend on the
individual dog?

Although pretty, small, and poofy, Maltese are active dogs and
need exercise. How much does your male get? What's his age,
btw?

If we bought a female Maltese would she be
more apt to enjoy being held on our laps?

Maybe, maybe not. Through your Maltese contacts, it may be
possible to find an older (maybe rescue) dog which has the
temperament you want.

Old February 14th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Rocky" wrote
"~~seadancer~~" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:
We had a sweet male Maltese who didn't like to be
held on our laps. He was definitely not a lap dog.
Are all Maltese like this or does it depend on the
individual dog?

Although pretty, small, and poofy, Maltese are active dogs and
need exercise. How much does your male get? What's his age,
btw?

If we bought a female Maltese would she be
more apt to enjoy being held on our laps?

Maybe, maybe not. Through your Maltese contacts, it may be
possible to find an older (maybe rescue) dog which has the
temperament you want.
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Our Maltese male was put to sleep on Feb. 3, 2006, about
10 days ago. He was 17 and very sick. We miss him.
I think we'd prefer a puppy and our favorite breed is Maltese.
But if Maltese, as a breed, aren't lap dogs, then we might
look into another breed. Are Yorkies better as lap dogs?
Our friend's miniature Poodle stayed on my lap once.
But we prefer the face of a Maltese.
Thank you for your reply.
---Sea

Old February 16th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"montana wildhack" wrote
On 2006-02-14 15:43:03 -0500, "~~seadancer~~"
said:
But if Maltese, as a breed, aren't lap dogs, then we might
look into another breed. Are Yorkies better as lap dogs?
Our friend's miniature Poodle stayed on my lap once.
But we prefer the face of a Maltese.
Thank you for your reply.
---Sea

I know how difficult it is to lose an old, dear companion and I'm sorry
for your loss.
I don't know too much about the Maltese breed, but I do know that Bichons
are very affectionate little dogs that usually have a very snuggly
temperment. I generally find that male dogs are more snuggly than females,
but of course, we have a female dog that is the perfect exception to that
broad generalization. And there's nothing like a seriously snuggly 65 lb.
mutt! Of course, she's not a lap dog!
Matt's advice about looking for a slightly older dog that exhibits the
temperment you seek is very wise.

Hi MW,
Thank you for your reply and your note of sympathy.
Bichons do have faces like Maltese dogs and they are very
cute dogs. They also have curly hair which is easier to keep neat.
I think they are slightly larger in size, but not too much larger,
although we do like the idea of a smaller dog because they
are easier to carry. We are older and light is better for us.
A Bichon is a breed to consider if we decide to get another
dog. I'm not sure we would want an older dog because
it's taking a chance as to the effects of their former experiences.
---Sea

Old February 16th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"~~seadancer~~" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I'm not sure we would want an older dog because
it's taking a chance as to the effects of their former
experiences.

But that's a benefit of going through rescue - the fosters have
had a chance to evaluate the dog.

FWIW, my most trustworthy dog (out of three) came through
rescue.

Old February 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"montana wildhack" wrote
On 2006-02-14 15:43:03 -0500, "~~seadancer~~"
said:
[...]

Actually, any of the Bicon-related breeds would
probably meet your requirements. We have a Havanese
who is a real sweetheart. Nelson weighs about 12
pounds, so is a bit larger than your average Maltese.
But he's still pretty easy to carry.

The Bichon-related breeds are Bichon Frise, Maltese,
Havanese, Bolognese, Lowchen, and Coton Du Tulear.

You will have an easier time finding a Bichon or Maltese,
since the others are relatively rare (the Havanese not
so much so now).

Old February 16th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 2006-02-14 15:43:03 -0500, "~~seadancer~~"
said:
But if Maltese, as a breed, aren't lap dogs, then we might
look into another breed. Are Yorkies better as lap dogs?
Our friend's miniature Poodle stayed on my lap once.
But we prefer the face of a Maltese.
Thank you for your reply.
---Sea

I know how difficult it is to lose an old, dear companion and I'm sorry
for your loss.

I don't know too much about the Maltese breed, but I do know that Bichons
are very affectionate little dogs that usually have a very snuggly
temperment. I generally find that male dogs are more snuggly than females,

my toy poodles are different from this. Maui, the boy, is very affectionate
with his kisses but doesn't snuggle too much. Cali, the girl, is very
snuggly and I can't be anywhere without her but she is very stingy with her
kisses. I am trying to train her to kiss more.

Old February 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:22:08 -0500, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I am trying to train her to kiss more.

try smearing peanut butter on your face.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old February 17th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:22:08 -0500, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I am trying to train her to kiss more.

try smearing peanut butter on your face.

I've been using milk. and I say "yes" very excitedly when she kisses. I
think she is getting it but I know she'd love peanut butter even better!

Old February 17th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 2006-02-14 15:43:03 -0500, "~~seadancer~~"
said:
[...]

I happen to be proudly owned by a very spoiled, very affectionate Maltese
lap dog. He is by far the most cuddly dog I ever lived with. However,
keep in mind they are very high maintenance and must be brushed and combed
nearly every day or their coat gets extremely matted. But if you want a
sweet personality, a Maltese definitely will fit that bill.

Puff's Mother