german shepperd skin prob

Old March 12th 04, 10:30 PM
fred

Default german shepperd skin prob

I recently purchased a german shepperd two weeks ago , and ever since
i have had him he has had dry flaky skin. He scarthes so much that he
scratches off his fur and makes himself bleed. I have tried shampoos ,
and anti itch sprays with aloe but he hasnt gotten that much better.

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar
and what and/or how do I treat it.
Old March 13th 04, 03:36 AM
Spot

If he wasn't in this condition when you got him I would think maybe it is a
food allergy. I'd find out what he was being fed prior to you purchasing
him. Also take him to the vet to rule out any skin diseases.

Celeste

m...

Old March 13th 04, 06:05 AM
Scott

Well, someone will say it, so I might as well be the one: BARF...
"bones and biologically appropriate raw food." Find someone who is
knowledgeable or do the reading yourself and change the dog's diet.

Old March 13th 04, 06:30 AM
culprit

"fred" wrote in message
m...
I recently purchased a german shepperd two weeks ago , and ever since
i have had him he has had dry flaky skin. He scarthes so much that he
scratches off his fur and makes himself bleed. I have tried shampoos ,
and anti itch sprays with aloe but he hasnt gotten that much better.

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar
and what and/or how do I treat it.

i'll second the suggestion to find out what he was eating before. you might
also try adding fish oil to his food, it can help reduce the flakey skin.

what are you feeding him now?

-kelly

Old March 15th 04, 01:42 AM
Bob

Add safflower....you can buy it at the grocery....our old lab has all kinds
of skin situations and the oil in the food really helps. Can't hurt....also,
wheat germ tablets help.
Have the dog checked at the vets.

"culprit" wrote in message

m...

Old March 15th 04, 10:30 AM
Pat

"fred" wrote in message
m...
I recently purchased a german shepperd two weeks ago , and ever since
i have had him he has had dry flaky skin. He scarthes so much that he
scratches off his fur and makes himself bleed. I have tried shampoos ,
and anti itch sprays with aloe but he hasnt gotten that much better.

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar
and what and/or how do I treat it.

I have had a similar problem with my last German Shepherd.
After antibiotics and loads of specials baths.
It turned out to be something very simple.
Chicken.....which she had eaten for 4 years.
It happened over night.
It took a few weeks to clear it from her system.
Pat.