maple tree buds?

Old February 16th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default maple tree buds?

Ok, this isn't the horticulture newsgroup, but my large maple tree is
budding - we've had up and down weather lately - 60 degrees today but
snow on the ground from 14" last weekend!

Anwyay, the red clusters of buds are apparently really appealing. All
3 dogs are munching on them, and they're everywhere. I can't find any
information on whether this is cause for concern. Rudy has had some
loose stool, but it's not all of the time and I don't know if the buds
are doing it or what.

Anyone have any good sites or information?
--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old February 16th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Janet B" wrote in message:
Anwyay, the red clusters of buds are apparently really appealing. All
3 dogs are munching on them, and they're everywhere.

Any idea what kind of maple it is? I know that Red Maple leaves are highly
toxic to horses, didn't think that they were toxic to dogs. Or maybe dogs
just don't make a habit of eating leaves, I guess. Have you called the vet
and checked?

Suja

Old February 16th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:23:31 -0500, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Any idea what kind of maple it is?

I *THINK* it is a Norway Maple. We have several maple trees in the
yard, each a bit different, but no red maples.

I know that Red Maple leaves are highly
toxic to horses, didn't think that they were toxic to dogs. Or maybe dogs
just don't make a habit of eating leaves, I guess.

Heh - no leaves anyway of course! Boy is it a big meltdown out there
today though. I've had to shovel the deck because the melting is
making it rain on the patio underneath (and that's where the door to
the yard is).

Have you called the vet
and checked?

Not yet, I figured if it was toxic I should be able to find something
about it easily.
Old February 17th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Ok now this makes sense why I see the red maples all fenced off in the
middle of the horse pasture that I drive by. I just thought the people were
kind of odd is all. I never knew they were toxic to horses.

Celeste

"Suja" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Old February 17th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Janet B" wrote in message
Ok, this isn't the horticulture newsgroup, but my large maple tree is
budding - we've had up and down weather lately - 60 degrees today but
snow on the ground from 14" last weekend!

Anwyay, the red clusters of buds are apparently really appealing. All
3 dogs are munching on them, and they're everywhere. I can't find any
information on whether this is cause for concern. Rudy has had some
loose stool, but it's not all of the time and I don't know if the buds
are doing it or what.

Anyone have any good sites or information?

Janet,

......Purdue site lists only horses as susceptible to fallen red maple
leaves.
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant50.htm

This site mentions that the red maple leaves may only be toxic to horses
from June-Oct:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...o_livestock_pa
stures_trees.htm
They also mention that they're uncertain if the red variety of Norway
aple - Acer platanoides - (probably Crimson King) has these same toxic
principles in the leaves.

......This site mentions that Norway maples have toxic principles in their
roots (to cut down competition around them), but that's not a totally
unusual situation, as other kinds of plants do this also. Sometimes roots
of a plant can be toxic and the leaves are OK. Sort of like eating rhubarb
stalk is OK, but leaves are not.
http://www.theardens.com/weedDocs/norwayMaples.htm

.........I'll bet they're eating them because they're sweet - with the wild
fluxuations in temps maybe some sap is leaking out the buds.

.......maybe they just need a good spring tonic!

.....at any rate, Norways are fairly invasive to the surrounding ecosystem.
Go get yourself a nice sugar maple for the dog yard!

Old February 17th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:07:28 GMT, "buglady"
, clicked their heels and said:

....at any rate, Norways are fairly invasive to the surrounding ecosystem.
Go get yourself a nice sugar maple for the dog yard!

Well, the dog yard is our yard ;-D, but this maple (I am really bad at
ID'ing trees) is about 50'+ tall and not going anywhere soon! I need
to get an arborist out here to identify my trees once they're blooming
again. It took me years to figure out the black walnut (incredibly
low producer thank goodness - maybe 5 walnuts in 11+ years).

Old February 17th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Janet B wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:07:28 GMT, "buglady"
, clicked their heels and said:

....at any rate, Norways are fairly invasive to the surrounding ecosystem.
Go get yourself a nice sugar maple for the dog yard!

Well, the dog yard is our yard ;-D, but this maple (I am really bad at
ID'ing trees) is about 50'+ tall and not going anywhere soon! I need
to get an arborist out here to identify my trees once they're blooming
again. It took me years to figure out the black walnut (incredibly
low producer thank goodness - maybe 5 walnuts in 11+ years).

Count yourself lucky. Our neighbors (very nice people, btw) have a
sweet gum tree right next to the property line. It drops vast
quantities of those horrible sticker balls, many of which end up right
where I have to walk to get to our trash bin. It's like living next
door to a sea urchin ranch.

Periodically I'll get fed up and send the kids out with buckets and bags
to clean up. But I always time these missions to occur during periods
when I know the neighbors are home. And because they really are nice
people, as soon as they realize I've got my kids cleaning up their
tree's trash they come right out and get busy with the rake and the leaf
blower and the yard waste bags and everybody works until the job is done.

There's a spray that can be applied that would prevent formation of the
balls, but they've ignored that suggestion. Irritating, but in the long
term, I suspect the situation will be self-correcting. They've got the
thing planted way too close to the house. Its outermost limbs are
already rubbing against the roof and if its roots aren't already
cracking the basement wall, they will be soon.

Kathleen