Facial Paralysis

Old March 13th 04, 12:49 AM
Carol

Default Facial Paralysis

I have a 91/2 year old Mixed breed 85 lb dog who has developed a facial
paralysis. I first noticed only a droopy jowl (which he has had before and
it cleared up). I thought he may have an infection in his mouth because he
DID have a lip cut and there was some swelling. He was on antibiotics for
another reason and the swelling in his mouth went away. The droopy jowl
continued and I noticed that when he ran the ear on the same side would just
bounce around. I took him to the vet where we discovered he also has a
problem closing his eyelid. This is not evident if you don't blow in his
face.

He is walking straight, running and generally his 91/2 year old self. The
vet felt like it was a "peripheral" problem probably caused by a trauma. I
can't rule out trauma because our 52 lb hound mix likes to charge him and
"butt" his jaw with her nose.

He is low thyroid, and I read where facial paralysis can be caused by low
thyroid, so now I'm wondering if his condition has fluctuated and his dosage
of thyroid medication is too low. I am going to have a conversation with
the vet next week about additional blood work even though he recently had a
bunch of bloodwork done with his last vet visit.

The vet prescribed artificial tears ointment 4 times a day, but said his eye
looked very moist given the paralysis.

My questions a does anyone have any experience with this condition? Can
it reverse? Am I doing the right things? I need to add that this dog is a
HORRIBLE patient. (The vet has to treat/examine him in a field by the
clinic because he goes into severe stress colitis (lovely) when he goes to
the vet.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

To respond directly, please remove "nospamatall"

Old March 13th 04, 06:50 AM
Jo Wolf

Check over at alt.med.veterinary for more help.
Whether it will clear up depends on the cause... and there are a goodly
number of potential causes.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 14th 04, 09:32 PM
Candi Bowen

It could be Bell's Palsy; people get it, along with animals. If he's walking
OK; not in circles or falling over or anything unusual to suggest a stroke
or other brain inflammation, I'd check into it.
Old March 15th 04, 04:43 AM
Carol

"Candi Bowen" wrote in message
news
It could be Bell's Palsy; people get it, along with animals. If he's

walking
OK; not in circles or falling over or anything unusual to suggest a stroke
or other brain inflammation, I'd check into it.

Thanks for the advice. He IS NOT walking in circles or anything like that.
He has a little bit of trouble when he first steps out into the sunlight in
the morning, however, he cannot completely close his eyelid and he is 9 1/2
years old with hip dysplasia. I have had to chase him down twice while he
was running to go bark at the horses that live behind us. He is eating
well, however, he is a little picky (this is not unusual). He is very much
himself and I am massaging the side of his face and his ear (he loves that).
I did ask the vet specifically about Bell's Palsy and he said there WERE
*big word* conditions that dogs get. He was very clear that he really did
not feel it was a tumor or a "central neurological" problem. I have been
going to this vet for about 25 years and if he is worried, he always paints
a worst case scenario for me. He said that as a medical professional a he
had to say that a tumor could be possible, however, he was relatively
certain after examining Waylon that it was "peripheral" due to trauma.
(Maybe one of the horses kicked our fence and caught him in the head while
we were on vacation - all this started RIGHT after we returned. The
house/dog sitter had nothing like that to report, however, they are hard to
watch all the time)

Thanks, again