new vet

Old February 17th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default new vet

I recently moved and need to find a new vet. It is for a 9 yr old bluetick
hound/beagle ( I think). Any tips on things to look for when getting a new
vet?

Old February 17th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Talk to neighbors, co-workers, even the clerk at the convenience store
- basically ask around and see what you can learn.

Old February 18th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Chris Witte" wrote in message
. ..
I recently moved and need to find a new vet. It is for a 9 yr old

bluetick
hound/beagle ( I think). Any tips on things to look for when getting a new
vet?

.............you might check the archives of this group at Google. It's been
a long time, but I think it's been discussed before.

............The major issue to consider is what YOU want in a vet. For some
people it's absolutely A-OK if a vet just goes ahead and does stuff without
discussion and tells them about it afterwards. You may not be happy with
that kind of vet. So a *good* recommendation is relative unless they tell
you *why* they like their vet. For some people all that is important is
that the vet is a good diagnostician. Unless you come across someone who
can articulate this about a vet they're recommending, it's not the kind of
thing you find out until you're in some kind of crunch. I'd sit down and
list the things you want in a vet, then go from there. Some people have
successfully interviewed vets. Some have made appts to tour the vet
hospital/clinics. I think this is not a bad idea as you can get an idea
about the staff and how things are run while you're getting the tour.

..........You also might find a local internet group to ask this question.

buglady
take out the dog before replying