Siberian Husky - Giardia

Old February 17th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Siberian Husky - Giardia

We got a new ~1yr old dog from a rescue organization. It has had diarrhea
pretty much constantly for 3 weeks. The vet gave it 10 days of Flagyl and
then 3 days of Panacur. It still has the runs. How many days should we
wait before deciding the problem is not cured?

I suppose the next step is to retest the stool for Giardia, but remember
eating yogurt for a few days after taking antibiotics myself to allow my
guts to normalize.

Old February 17th 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"Ponder" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

We got a new ~1yr old dog from a rescue organization. It
has had diarrhea pretty much constantly for 3 weeks. The
vet gave it 10 days of Flagyl and then 3 days of Panacur.
It still has the runs. How many days should we wait before
deciding the problem is not cured?

With giardia, a dog can easily reinfect himself. When I had
this situation, and my dog's giardia kept reoccuring after
treatment with Flagyl (Metronidazole), I asked the advice of a
vet doc at local university (as it turned out, it was he who
developed the giardia vaccine).

Flagyl/Metronidazole is a broad-spectrum anti-parasite - Panacur
(Fenbendazole), which you used for three days, is more focused
on giardia, but should be used for two contiguous treatment
periods (IIRC, this is 8 or 10 days).

Good luck.

Old February 17th 06, 08:17 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

Thanks. What is "IIRC" ?

"If I recall correctly..."

Old February 18th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"Ponder" wrote in message
ink.net...
We got a new ~1yr old dog from a rescue organization. It has had diarrhea
pretty much constantly for 3 weeks. The vet gave it 10 days of Flagyl and
then 3 days of Panacur. It still has the runs. How many days should we
wait before deciding the problem is not cured?

I suppose the next step is to retest the stool for Giardia,

..........so the stool was never tested? That should be the first step.
Since this dog might have had a rocky start, it could just as easily be
Coccidia.

but remember
eating yogurt for a few days after taking antibiotics myself to allow my
guts to normalize.

...........Takes more than a few days after he's been on antibiotics for a
couple of weeks. I'd get some probiotics in pills, give 2X a day for a
month. It may not even be parasites any more, just abnormal bowel flora.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 18th 06, 07:57 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . net,
Ponder wrote:
We got a new ~1yr old dog from a rescue organization. It has had diarrhea
pretty much constantly for 3 weeks. The vet gave it 10 days of Flagyl and
then 3 days of Panacur. It still has the runs. How many days should we
wait before deciding the problem is not cured?

I'd be open to the possibility that there's other stuff
going on there, as well. Definitely retest, but I had one
dog who came from the shelter with coccidia but continued to
have nasty skitters after treatment. Turned out to be IBD.

Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community.
Old February 18th 06, 04:31 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

I suppose the next step is to retest the stool for Giardia,

.........so the stool was never tested? That should be the first step.
Since this dog might have had a rocky start, it could just as easily be
Coccidia.

but remember
eating yogurt for a few days after taking antibiotics myself to allow my
guts to normalize.

..........Takes more than a few days after he's been on antibiotics for a
couple of weeks. I'd get some probiotics in pills, give 2X a day for a
month. It may not even be parasites any more, just abnormal bowel flora.

It was tested. Vet started Flagyl before getting result then Panacur after
the result.

I'll look for a canine probiotic at my local retail store.

Old February 18th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"Ponder" wrote in message
k.net...
I'll look for a canine probiotic at my local retail store.

..........Doesn't have to be canine - I use stuff in refrigerated section of
health food store.

Old February 18th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

Definitely a priobiotic prior to his/her meal, preferably 1/2 hour before.
Give two times a day. Go to the health food store and get it. Buy a quality
product. This helps to retain good, necessary bacteria while the Rx is
washing out all the bacteria, good and bad.

ink.net...

Old February 19th 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

Definitely a priobiotic prior to his/her meal, preferably 1/2 hour before.
Give two times a day. Go to the health food store and get it. Buy a
quality product. This helps to retain good, necessary bacteria while the
Rx is washing out all the bacteria, good and bad.

I got Animal Essentials "Plant Enzymes & Probiotics" which has Bacillus
Coagulans, and I added some acidophilus supplement of mine.

I'm sure she'll get over this soon.