gsd

Old February 19th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default gsd

My brother's GSD has pancreasitis (sorry if spelling is not correct).
He is going to put the dog on enzymes any suggestions as to diet?

thanks

Old February 20th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
My brother's GSD has pancreasitis (sorry if spelling is not correct).
He is going to put the dog on enzymes any suggestions as to diet?

What does the vet suggest?

We had issues with pancreatitis with our Mini Schnauzer, she is now on i/d,
dunno if that's an option for you.

Old February 21st 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Please have your brother check out some of the threads in the different
forums on www.germanshepherds.com it is a
wonderful source of information and the folks there are all GSD fanatics.

If your brother's dog is getting started on enzymes, the dog probably has
Pancreatic Enzyme Insufficiency. Unfortunately it is one of the diseases
that show up in GSDs.

Unlike this board, it is moderated, so any whack jobs are soon eliminated.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea
www.shepherdrescue.org

Old March 1st 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
My brother's GSD has pancreasitis (sorry if spelling is not correct).
He is going to put the dog on enzymes any suggestions as to diet?

thanks
I had a GSD, many years ago - over eight years ago, that had pancreatic
insuffiency. She used an enzyme, (that you could only get with a vet
prescription and only from him unless you found a source through a catelog
for example, with the vet precription which I eventually did because of
the high cost) with each meal. The food was Ukenuba Low Residue which you
could also only get from a vet. I shopped around with the many vets in my
area and got the Eukanuba from the lowest cost one.

My dog was a nice one but always seemed to be sick. I used to pay $135 for a
bottle - 10 or 12 ounces - of the powder that lasted about three months.
However through a catelog I got the exact same bottle from the exact same
manufacturer for $85. The food was also very expensive but I cannot remember
how much it cost. However shopping around with different vets I got it for a
lot less money. All in all, counting the vet operation and the medicines and
special foods I must have spent well over three thousand dollars on her the
last few years of her life.

I guess a dog could live quite awhile with this type cancer. However, mine
lasted only 8.5 years. (My other GSDs have lived well over 10 years and one
lived over 14.) At the end she could not walk up stairs. Your brother is in
for a lot of costs. If I had to do it over, I would put the dog down very
early and get another pup. My dog's great temperament wore down after awhile
and she was just a schell of what she was. Watching this happen was no
picnic on our family either. I think I should have put her down sooner
because she must have been in a lot of pain but I did not recognize it. I
just kept hoping she would get better but it just got worse.

Ed

Old March 6th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Old March 22nd 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Joe Banner" wrote in message news:Y3mNf.5294
I guess a dog could live quite awhile with this type cancer.

I'm sorry about your dog.

However, I just wanted to point out that pancreatitis is *not* cancer.
They can have pancreatic cancer, but 'pancreatitis' is an irritation of the
pancreas. There are many causes, one that gave my dog 2 bouts of
pancreatitis was after he got pork. (2nd time he got it it was from pork
tenderloin, and I always cut out the fat.)

I've, also in the past couple of years had 2 bouts with it.
*EXTREMELY* painful. If I felt that bad, I can only imagine how my little
guy felt.

There are two 'types' of pancreatitis, acute, a one time or a few times in
their life, and chronic, where it is always present. With the acute type
they will treat on an as needed basis. With *chronic* that's when you need
to start supplements/enzymes, etc.

Just wanted to clear that up.
We don't want to scare anyone, or confuse them thinking if the dog has
pancreatitis, it is defintely 'cancer'.
It, (chronic type) *can* lead to cancer, however.

MaryBeth