new family members in our name

Old February 21st 06, 05:44 AM
dogsRgr8 dogsRgr8 is offline
Junior Member

Default new family members in our name

This weekend we took in a Maine Coon Cat kitten of 8-9 months; we adopted an old lab mix named Sargeant and a Lhasa that was turned in by a homeless gent. We think he was turned in for medical care the guy couldn't afford. What a shame! When we took the Lhasa he came with a really bad rep. He was supposedly a biter, untouchable and wouldn't play well with other dogs. The shelter tried keeping him in a pack. This is probably effective with most dogs but Lhasas have been bred as companions to Buddhist monks for about the last 2200 years. When my wife first saw him he was covered with urine from other dogs, his coat was all matted and his eyes infected. We took him as a foster. After shaving the mat off he looks like the shrunken head guy in "Beetlejuice."

He gets along great with the lab, the two cats we have now and with us. He's a love. Not only that but he's well trained. He waits when he should, avoids mix up with the big guy and walks on the right side with the leash hanging loose. He's fearful of bathrooms, scissors and being touched in certain ways (he may be sore and bruised). None of the other problem behavior he was imputed with have emerged. The Lhasa was called "Curly" by the shelter. We're waiting to learn his name. The big guy needs some basic obedience work. He was abandoned and had lived for some years in a backyard tied to a clothesline. We're working on walking manners. His disposition is great but he's understandably needy. We got him a great bed and made him sleep on it last night. He has diarreha and lost it in the house while we were out. We'll work on that with a crate and a chicken broth and rice menu until his bowels are better. We're tired though; three rescues in one weekend. Both the dogs were headed to an end and the kitty was passed over for older cats by generous souls who assumed she'd have a much easier chance than the cats they took. We've learned so much from these three already we're very greatful for the opportunities they've givern us!

Nick & Susan