fleas and ticks

Old February 25th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default fleas and ticks

I like to take my dog hiking with me in the woods. I started her on
Advantage today. It says on the box that it kills and repels fleas. I
thought it also repelled ticks but cannot find that on the box. Ticks are a
bigger concern than fleas. Does anyone know if this repels ticks or should I
get something to spray on her whenever we go to the woods?

Old February 25th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I like to take my dog hiking with me in the woods. I started her on
Advantage today. It says on the box that it kills and repels fleas. I
thought it also repelled ticks but cannot find that on the box. Ticks are a
bigger concern than fleas. Does anyone know if this repels ticks or should
I get something to spray on her whenever we go to the woods?

Advantage = fleas

Advantix = fleas and ticks

Old February 25th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Chris Witte" wrote in message
I like to take my dog hiking with me in the woods. I started her on
Advantage today. It says on the box that it kills and repels fleas. I
thought it also repelled ticks but cannot find that on the box. Ticks are a
bigger concern than fleas. Does anyone know if this repels ticks or should
I get something to spray on her whenever we go to the woods?

Frontline Plus should work too. Also there's a new Frontline spray that
someone recently pointed out to me. Here's the link....

http://www.discountpetsdrugs.com/fronspraylar1.html

Old March 4th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Chris Witte" wrote in message
I like to take my dog hiking with me in the woods. I started her on
Advantage today. It says on the box that it kills and repels fleas. I
thought it also repelled ticks but cannot find that on the box. Ticks are a
bigger concern than fleas. Does anyone know if this repels ticks or should
I get something to spray on her whenever we go to the woods?

My recommendation? By some Frontline Plus from your friendly neighborhood
vet. It isn't terribly expensive, each dose is good for one month, and it
is much more convenient than sprays and such. You simply apply the dose
(applicable to the wt. of your dog) behind their neck where it is absorbed
into the skin. I've found this to be extremely effective. I've tried
similar sounding brands from regular stores and so forth, but the only real
luck I've had was when I've bought the product from a vet.

Anyway, with this product, you won't need anything else, and it is easy on
the dog. Be sure to apply it on top of the neck (on the skin) where the dog
can't lick it, though. Wouldn't be a good thing to ingest, you know.