dispensing pheno

Old February 26th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default dispensing pheno

I am worried because our golden is on pheno twice a day for seizures. We
would like to get away and take her to the kennel for a week (she likes
this place) but her pills would be given at 8am and 4pm.
She is used to 5am and 5pm - Is the 4pm to 8am interval too long? She
is 9 and she would be very stressed to have someone come to the house.
She does not ind the kennel.

Old February 26th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

My dog gets his around every 12 hrs give or take 1/2hr either side but
8 and 4 does not sound right. I would ask your vet. Good Luck

Old February 27th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I am worried because our golden is on pheno twice a day for
seizures. We would like to get away and take her to the
kennel for a week (she likes this place) but her pills
would be given at 8am and 4pm. She is used to 5am and 5pm -
Is the 4pm to 8am interval too long?

It depends on the dog. Mine would be fine with that schedule,
but I know of others who wouldn't be.

A few suggestions (obviously, consult your vet before taking my
advice):
1. Ease her into the 8am/4pm schedule now by changing her
current dosing time by 15 minutes every few days and see how it
works out. If it doesn't work out, at least you'll be there to
help her through the seizure.
2. Reportion the doses to reflect the new schedule. For
example, if she's currently getting 60 mg each morning and
evening, gradually work her into 45 mg at 8am and 75 mg at 4pm.
The half time of PB is about 36 hours. Most seizures happen at
night time while the dog is asleep - is this also your case?
3. When are you leaving? Pottasium Bromide (KBr) is another
anti-epileptic drug, often used in conjunction with PB, which
"softens" the dips caused by PB's relatively short half life.
It takes a few weeks before KBr builds up to a therapeutic dose,
however.
4. Bring her to my daycare, heh.

If you have the time, I'd suggest option 3, though many vets
don't want to use KBr. Otherwise, I'd go with my suggested
option 2,

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old February 27th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default dispensing/Rocky

Does Pot. Bromide have any side effects? I know it took her weeks to get
over the wobbling with Pheno.

Old February 27th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Does Pot. Bromide have any side effects? I know it took her
weeks to get over the wobbling with Pheno.

Yes, KBr can have similar ataxic effects, though Rocky got over
them in time (except in extreme cold). The benefits of KBr are
that you can usually lower the PB dose, it's processed through
the kidneys and not the liver ("spreading" the potential damage
around), it's inexpensive, and, as I said, it has a much longer
half-life than PB.

More on the half-life issue that I should have mentioned in my
last post: I wrote that PB has a half-life of 36 hours - the
rule of thumb is that you should medicate at 1/3 of the half-
life, which is why PB is often prescribed for 12 hour intervals.

So, if your Golden is right on "the edge" (ie: her PB dose is
the minimum required to keep her seizures under control),
there's an increased chance that she'll have a seizure sometime
before her 8am dose, 16 hours after her last dose, especially if
she's like most dogs and seizes while asleep.

If you can't, or don't want to, introduce KBr (it *is* a little
fiddly to administer), have you put any thought into
reportioning her dose (increasing the evening dose and
decreasing the morning)? You could leave the kennel with
containers clearly marked "8:00 am" and "4:00 pm".

By the way, is there no supervision at night? I'm wondering why
the kennel can't keep to your feeding and drugging schedule.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old February 27th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Unfortunately this kennel closes at 6pm.
We have tried other kennels that "supposedly" have 24 hour supervision
and each one she was so sick when she got home. This is the only kennel
she doesn't spastic out and does well. It has a small population
therfore, does not become ill or stressed.

Old March 1st 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Unless you do a loading dose of Kbr, it takes at least 2 months to
get up to a theraputic level in the blood. Loading doses of Kbr can
cause severe ataxia and other weird behaviors until the body adjusts to
the meds, which can also take up to a couple of months.
I would really worry about leaving my epi-dog at a facility that
can't give the meds at the proper time and closes for 16 hours during
the evening hours. What if your dog had a seizure and it turned into
status....that could be a life threatening condition and there would be
no one there to help your dog. Pb really needs to be given every 12
hours, or it is very likely your dog could have a seizure.
I would suggest having someone come to your house and care for your
dog while you are gone...That is what I do with my epileptic dog...if I
didn't, I would be worrying all the time I was gone about my dog.
Sue and epi-Jill

#4 on my list of ideas for the original poster was to bring
their Golden to my place; that was only somewhat facetious - in
my daycare I'm with the dogs 24/7 when they're here nights.
Places like mine don't advertise a lot, so the OP may want to
ask around. I get a few referrals from high volume daycare and
kenneling operations because I deal with some special needs that
they don't.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.