Help. My dog jumps on people and tries to bite them

Old February 27th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Help. My dog jumps on people and tries to bite them

Hi,

We have had a 2 years old Saint Bernard for 6 months. He came from a
shelter.
It seems that he was never socialized with other dogs and persons.

For the first 2 weeks, he was ok with other persons when he was
outside, but after that it's a nightmare to go for a walk with him. As
soon as he sees somebody he tries to go after that person and bite
them. He's getting stronger every week and it's hard for us to keep him
calm when this happens.

What we can do? He's adorable inside our house even with other people,
but outside he's completely different.

We cannot have him inside our house all the time... we have been told
that he's trying to protect us because he feels very good with us, and
that we need him to get used to people. That's easy to say but it's
very complicated, because we cannot be close to other people in the
streets because he will try to attack them. We also took him to 2 dog
training schools but he was kicked out because he tried to bite the
teachers. Since them he always wears a muzzle when he's outside.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks a lot.

Old February 27th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

composed these thoughts and posted them
oups.com:

[...]

Thanks a lot.t it

dog-training school ----NOT your local petsmart... you need a real
behaviourist
nilif google nothing in life is free
take him out and socialize him with people when under control, give him
attention so he does not have to act out to get it. and keep people out
of your fenced yard.
Keep him in except during exercise and potty breaks
Old February 27th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I have had the same problems with my dog, and I did contact a dog trainer
and the information she gave me worked so well. The muzzle is a great
idea, but you need away to get the dog under control. Next thing that
would help a great deal is a shock collar. I know, mean, but it works, and
you will see results. No they are not cheap but they are a good
investment. The second thing is you need to purchase a a choker chain (Not
a choker collar)or a pinch collar. This will help you control your dog
during his walks, and it will help you feel like you are walking your dog
instead of the other way around. Remember one thing that if you choose to
use a shock collar not to use the chocker chain at the same time. Keep
socalizing him, and don't give up. I would look into another trainer,
because a real trainer would not have dismissed you. They know that
getting bit is a risk they have to take in order to work with dogs. I
suggest calling your vet and they should have ones they deal with. You
also might want to call the shelter where you got him and see if there is
anything they know of in the dog's past that could be the problem. Good
luck and don't give up.

Old February 27th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Thanks a lot for all your answers!!

Just for the record he is an "inside dog," in other words, he is never
outside unless we are playing with him, walking him or going for road
trips.

The info. we've been able to get on our dog is that he was abused, and
he was probably kept tied somewhere. EVERYTHING was a new thing to
him...stairs, snow, toys, even a ball! Over the last months we've been
able to train him and teach him with LOTS of praise, treats, love and
patience, but now the main problems are scaring people off and pulling
on the leash as if he'd want to play "tug-of-war" (which we refuse to
teach him until we get him straighten out).

rrdd28nmbr1,

How do use the shock collar? and How about the choker? How long did it
take you to train your dog? Did he have any abused past?

Thanks.

Old February 28th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

The main point with a e-collar is to use it correctly. You have to have
someone show you the proper way to correct the dog if you go this route.

I have a collie/shepard mix that I had to get one for. It has made a
complete difference in her and I rarely have to use it now.

Celeste

lkaboutpets.com...

Old February 28th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:53:10 GMT, "Spot" ,
clicked their heels and said:

The main point with a e-collar is to use it correctly. You have to have
someone show you the proper way to correct the dog if you go this route.

I have a collie/shepard mix that I had to get one for. It has made a
complete difference in her and I rarely have to use it now.

ANY training program and choice of tools is only as good as the person
teaching them. In uneducated hands, a cookie can screw up a dog's
training. Finding a real trainer, who is knowledgable about a lot of
different approaches and tools, would be an excellent idea. What's
right for one dog and it's family is not necessarily the right
approach for another. I agree with HJM though - forget the past -n it
only holds the dog back.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old February 28th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article
outpets.com,
says...
I have had the same problems with my dog, and I did contact a dog trainer
and the information she gave me worked so well. The muzzle is a great
idea, but you need away to get the dog under control. Next thing that
would help a great deal is a shock collar.

I'd like to try a shock collar on you!!!!!!

I know, mean, but it works, and
you will see results. No they are not cheap but they are a good
investment. The second thing is you need to purchase a a choker chain (Not
a choker collar)or a pinch collar.

Same as above. Maybe both at the same time or maybe the choke chain
around your nuts!

This will help you control your dog
during his walks, and it will help you feel like you are walking your dog
instead of the other way around. Remember one thing that if you choose to
use a shock collar not to use the chocker chain at the same time.

Hell, why not? Twice the fun right?

Old February 28th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 27 Feb 2006 08:18:49 -0800, wrote:

We have had a 2 years old Saint Bernard for 6 months. He came from a
shelter.
It seems that he was never socialized with other dogs and persons.

I would disagree on the "never sozialised with persons", since you also
said:

For the first 2 weeks, he was ok with other persons when he was
outside, ...

So, for 2 weeks it was no problem, which does not sound like a
sozialisation problem. It might have been just the time, the dog needed to
acclimate to the new home.

... but after that it's a nightmare to go for a walk with him. As
soon as he sees somebody he tries to go after that person and bite
them. He's getting stronger every week and it's hard for us to keep him
calm when this happens.

He really wants to bite? Or is he just "showing off"? Just curious,
impatient and/or unsecure or really going to attack?

Investigate your own behavior, the dog's action and reaction and again your
reactions to the dog's behavior (it's usually a chain-reaction).

Please also educate yourself about the different kinds of aggression. There
are dogs being "real aggressive" and there are dogs being e.g. "fear
aggressive". Huge difference (also training wise). Depending on information
and observation, you can build your personal trainingsplan (a neutral
watcher, or good trainer at hand, could help a lot).

We cannot have him inside our house all the time... we have been told
that he's trying to protect us ...

Could be ... or not.

... because he feels very good with us, and
that we need him to get used to people. ...

Desensitizing is not wrong. Especially being accompanied by clear signals
what you want your dog to do ... or not.

... That's easy to say but it's
very complicated, because we cannot be close to other people in the
streets because he will try to attack them. ...

_If_ he is trying to really attack. If yes: Muzzle first.

You need to develop stable nerves (I know it's easier said than done), an
individual training program and talk to the people on the street as well.
Going to Basic Obedience Classes could support you a lot, if you are
willing to and going to incorporate the learned (within you private
training plan) into your daily life.
There is no "once or twice per week training will solve it". You have to
live it!

... We also took him to 2 dog
training schools but he was kicked out because he tried to bite the
teachers. Since them he always wears a muzzle when he's outside.

A dog school kicking out "problem dogs" is very bad (IMO just money
driven). A "good school" would not hesitate to seriously work on your
problem(s).

Bye
Marion
Old March 4th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Hi, Marion!

I wrote:

... Aggressive behavior is extremely costly to an animal:
it can get the critter badly hurt, even dead. Why would a dog who is
well fed and taken care of be aggressive, unless it is afraid? Why
would a dog who is friendly to people when inside his house be trying
to bite them, when at the end of his leash?

You reply:

There could be tons of reasons.

Such as...? I mean, if we exclude illness.

That's why I suggested to have a neutral
watcher / good trainer around.

I think that Jerry's take on aggression is very interesting, especially
since it is coming form a trainer who works with dogs for protection.
Maybe it's not by chance that it was particularly such a trainer who
developed a completely non-violent training method, but rather a
logical consequence of the fact that he had the opportunity to see
aggressive behavior (from both dogs and humans) in all its
manifestations, as well as the reactions (of both dogs and humans) to
it.

Lucy