Diagnosis for Chronic Nausea/Vomiting

Old February 28th 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Diagnosis for Chronic Nausea/Vomiting

As I posted earlier, my dog ate a single ibuprofen tablet over one
month ago and had severe gastrointestinal distress for a week,
eventually settling down to chronic vomiting episodes.

Due to the severity and duration of the symptoms we question whether
the ibuprofen was the sole cause or if something else is going on.

Now she goes 2-3 days where she seems perfectly fine, then a day where
she has nausea and vomits. During these times she smacks her lips
often and seems to have some reflux of stomach fluid into her throat.

The vet put her on Eukanuba Low Residue food which seems to have
helped, but she continues to have recurrences. She has also started to
chew at her nails/paws, and it seems that her nose may be slightly
discolored (pink).

Blood tests show no problems, and the vet is thinking she developed a
food allergy or some kind of auto-immune thing. He suggests trying a
novel protien diet and/or an endoscopy and stomach biopsy.

I have a strong feeling the endoscopy would be inconclusive, not to
mention expensive and invasive. But the novel protein diet could take
weeks to prove or disprove the allergy theory.

I am really troubled by the (multiple) vet's inability to provide a
diagnosis or effective treatment. Any advice would be appreciated...

Old February 28th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

my opinion.. with some recent experience. My poodle apparently cannot
tolerate any grain. He wason Eukanuba KO (currently on indefinite
backorder). He was put on reglan for vomiting and it helped some. The
vomit was mostly bile. When he would be "sick" it would be several
times a day or nothing for a few days. Bloodwork came back in normal
ranges. He had a checkup with his dermatologist and his food was
switched to hills venison/potato. He has not vomited since. I'm only
giving him the reglan once a day and will probably try cutting it out
next week. He had been on the food for a year or more before the
vomiting started.

I looked at the ingredients of the low residue and corn grits is the
*first* ingredient. Dexter has been on the new food for 8 days..
change was instantaneous. Try a food with no grains.. doesn't have to
be hills (my first experience with their product). Only fruit and
veggie treats, no peanut butter for pills (having to cut that out too),
no people food period .. unless fruit/veggie

tracey

Old February 28th 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

This is one of the responses I received when i posted an update to my
poodle list.. i had mentioned that i never thought of oats being a
"grain"

"Sometimes even the so-called "grain free" stuff has rice in it!!
When you talk about grains, it's basically the seeds of grasses....
wheat, oats, barley, corn, rice, etc etc. Stuff that's got glutin in
it. "

Old February 28th 06, 11:24 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"DaveR" wrote in message
As I posted earlier, my dog ate a single ibuprofen tablet over one
month ago
Now she goes 2-3 days where she seems perfectly fine, then a day where
she has nausea and vomits. During these times she smacks her lips
often and seems to have some reflux of stomach fluid into her throat.

.............Someone asked you before if you're giving anything for an ulcer,
as this may be the problem, caused by the ibuprofen. What meds is this dog
on if any?

The vet put her on Eukanuba Low Residue food which seems to have
helped, but she continues to have recurrences. She has also started to
chew at her nails/paws, and it seems that her nose may be slightly
discolored (pink).

........Did your dog have any little niggling symptoms or recurring minor
problems before this episode with the ibuprofen? Is she normally anxious,
afraid of thunderstorms or doesn't cope well with new situations? Any days
where she limps? Any unexplained fevers in the past 6 months?

........I really think she may have an ulcer. But with the nose thing it
could be the onset of SLE. Pretty far afield I think as vomiting is not
usually a signalment, but it is an autoimmune disorder and only requires a
blood test to rule out. Pink nose/collie nose is calle discoid lupus and
doesn't usually have systemic effects. There are other things a pink nose
can be also:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/72700.htm

http://www.vetinfo.com/dlupus.html
SLE is not considered to be contagious. However, dogs with SLE may not show
clinical signs until there is an initiating factor, such as a bacterial or
viral infection, a drug reaction, cancer or some event that has a big
impact on the immune system.
http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/dogs/lupus.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/autoimmn.html

If you answered any of the above questions about her demeanor as YES, then
Addison's disease might be a possibility, ruled out by an ACTH stimulation
test. Addison's is a sneaky disease. You can get vague, shifting symptoms
for a long time, with no diagnosis. Stress increases symptoms and what your
dog went through can certainly be called stress! Vomiting may one of the
symptoms.

http://www.addisondogs.com/addisons/whatis.html

Blood tests show no problems,

..........what kind of blood tests - 12 panel or comprehensive profile - CBC
with full chem panel? And when was the last time you had tests? If it
wasn't within the last 3 weeks, I'd get another full panel run.

I have a strong feeling the endoscopy would be inconclusive,

...........not necessarily. I would imagine they could see an ulcer if she
has one. But OTOH, you can give meds for an ulcer and see if it improves,
without doing an endoscopy. I think it's carafate, but am not sure.

......Oddly enough dogs, with IBD often vomit. Any problems with her stools
before? Kidney problems can also cause vomiting. SLE can affect the
kidneys. I wonder if the ibuprofen could affect kidneys? I'd definitely
get a first pee of the AM in for a urinalysis to check kidney function.
Blood tests are not enough to decide on the health of the kidneys.

........I think I'd just give ulcer meds and wait a week to see what happens.
If no improvement then get another complete blood panel/urinalysis and if
they show absolutely NO abnormal values, I'd think about doing a serum test
for SLE. At least you would know that it's NOT that. Same for Addison's.
Depends on how much money you have. Make sure your dog has fasted for 12
hours before the basic blood test. I usually schedule the appt first thing
in the AM so they can get breakfast after the blood draw.

Old February 28th 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

"DaveR" wrote in message
As I posted earlier, my dog ate a single ibuprofen tablet over one
month ago
Now she goes 2-3 days where she seems perfectly fine, then a day where
she has nausea and vomits.

.....................one thing I forgot - another big vomit causer is
pancreatitis. Has your dog ever raided the garbage and gotten very sick?
If so, this usually sets a dog up for chronic pancreas problems. Do her
stools ever look greasy?

Old March 1st 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:24:35 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

............Someone asked you before if you're giving anything for an ulcer,
as this may be the problem, caused by the ibuprofen. What meds is this dog
on if any?

We had her on Zantac, then Pepcid ever since she ingested the tablet.
But it's been over one month now, so I just stopped the pepcid to see
if it makes any difference (it didn't seem to be helping).

.......Did your dog have any little niggling symptoms or recurring minor
problems before this episode with the ibuprofen? Is she normally anxious,
afraid of thunderstorms or doesn't cope well with new situations? Any days
where she limps? Any unexplained fevers in the past 6 months?

No, she seemed fine, but then again I never paid as close attention to
her behavior as I am now. For example, she could have had bouts of
nausea before and I just wasn't aware of it. But she never had any
vomiting except once in a blue moon, and never diarrhea. Overall she
seemed very healthy and happy.

.......I really think she may have an ulcer.

And how long would that take to heal? Should I continue pepcid?

.........what kind of blood tests - 12 panel or comprehensive profile - CBC
with full chem panel? And when was the last time you had tests? If it
wasn't within the last 3 weeks, I'd get another full panel run.

Full panel, less than 2 weeks ago, plus a TLI test which came back
negative for pancreatitis.

.....Oddly enough dogs, with IBD often vomit. Any problems with her stools
before? Kidney problems can also cause vomiting. SLE can affect the
kidneys. I wonder if the ibuprofen could affect kidneys?

Sure, that's what they were worried about. But all blood tests came
back fine indicating no kidney or other systemic problems.

She's being shifted to novel protein diet now, duck/potato. So far so
good. Thank for your detailed message...
Old March 1st 06, 05:40 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"DaveR" wrote in message
We had her on Zantac, then Pepcid ever since she ingested the tablet.
But it's been over one month now, so I just stopped the pepcid to see
if it makes any difference (it didn't seem to be helping).

.......I really think she may have an ulcer.

And how long would that take to heal? Should I continue pepcid?

........I don't know about length of time for healing.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ibuprof...ogs/page1.aspx

Carafate actually helps heal ulcers:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...ate/page1.aspx

Pepcid just blocks acid production, which then supposedly allows an ulcer to
heal. Tagamet works much the same way. Seems to me that the easiest, least
invasive next step is to try a differently acting drug to see if it helps.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...cid/page1.aspx

Your dog may also be reacting to the Pepcid. I know of some dogs who do
better off it than on. I've always kind of wondered if blocking the acid
production too much leads to half digested food. If you're not seeing any
relief from Carafate, then you need to discuss the next step with your vet.
I honestly don't know what that would be - if it's appropriate to keep
focusing on the gut or look for autoimmune issues.

Old March 1st 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 1 Mar 2006 10:26:24 -0800, "A Poor Shepherd Boy"
wrote:

HOWEDY daver,

Go to hell.