A tad bit aggressive

Old March 3rd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default A tad bit aggressive

Howdy folks!

New to the group, so forgive any FAQ related stuff please.

We just got a great 4 month old Daschund pup "Chuck" and he's a wonderful
addition to our family.

One thing we've noticed is that he's a bit aggressive towards my son who
also happens to be the youngest (9).

They can get along just fine, but at times he growls, and has bitten him a
couple of times. We're quick to respond with a very firm "NO" and he gets
crated until he's calm. My son can be timid sometimes, so I'm wondering if
the dog is reacting to that, or if there's something else I can do or look
for.

Any help is appreciated.
TIA
Steve
Old March 3rd 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Steve" wrote in message
47...
Howdy folks!

New to the group, so forgive any FAQ related stuff please.

We just got a great 4 month old Daschund pup "Chuck" and he's a wonderful
addition to our family.

One thing we've noticed is that he's a bit aggressive towards my son who
also happens to be the youngest (9).

They can get along just fine, but at times he growls, and has bitten him a
couple of times. We're quick to respond with a very firm "NO" and he gets
crated until he's calm. My son can be timid sometimes, so I'm wondering
if
the dog is reacting to that, or if there's something else I can do or look
for.

Any help is appreciated.

Puppies can be pushy. Dachshunds tend to be very headstrong, strong-willed
and independent. Kids tend not to be very authoritative. Supervise their
interactions but don't allow the puppy to rule your son.

Have your son be the only one to feed the puppy, give him his treats, give
him praise *and* verbal corrections as well as be at least an equal person
involved in the puppy's training. Teach your son how to use an
authoritative and commanding voice and to expect obedience rather than
politely request it. Having your son be the person who walks the puppy can
also be very beneficial. These things should teach the puppy that great
things come from your 9yo but also that your 9yo is an authority figure in
the home.

If you can find a local puppy class I'd recommend signing up both puppy &
son...assuming your son is willing to become this involved.

--
Tara

Old March 3rd 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default A tad bit aggressive [ninnyboy] [jerry]

AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResear...@H otMail.Com wrote:
HOWEDY tara o. aka tee aka scrundogs you pathetic multi mentally,
socially, morally, ethically challenged insufficent, stiffled,
stunted, abused, abuser, tara o. aka tee of Boxer Rescue of NC,
you lyin dog abusing punk thug coward active acute chronic long
term incurable mental case,

If you had grandchildren, would YOU let them read the above
paragraph??? Isn't this a "Family Group?" Would you sit your
grandkids down and expect to watch a program on The Family Channel and
expect the show to say what you just did, tardo?

Would you???

Old March 4th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"scfundogs" wrote:

Dachshunds tend to be very headstrong, strong-willed and independent.
Kids tend not to be very authoritative.

Kids also tend to roughhouse play with puppies, to tease puppies when
nobody's watching, to inadvertently mishandle puppies, and to take out their
feelings on puppies (and other animals) when nobody's watching.
Some kids also act *inappropriately* authoritative with dogs and puppies,
trying to order them around.

And IME, kids who are "timid" are MORE likely to be the ones secretly
tormenting a puppy, or harshly "disciplining" a puppy it doesn't behave as
they want; it gives them a sense of power which they're otherwise lacking.
This is especially true of kids who are bossed around or otherwise
overshadowed by older siblings.

On the little evidence we have, there's no way of knowing whether the pup's
behaviour towards the child is play, dominance, or defensiveness/fear.
For one thing, the OP really hasn't described what's going on when the pup
growls and bites; what are the circumstances under which it occurs? Given
that he said they "crate until he calms down", it could very well be that
the puppy's trying to engage in normal terrier-type puppy play, and simply
sees the smallest human in the household as the most approprite target for
that sort of play.
It could also be that the child has deliberately or inadvertently hurt or
frightened the puppy when adults weren't present, and the dog bites when he
thinks it may happen again.

Supervise their
interactions but don't allow the puppy to rule your son.

I'll certainly agree with the recommendation to supervise all
interactions; I can't automatically agree that what's going on is a baby
puppy trying to "rule" a human without knowing a lot more about the
circumstances and the dynamics of the household.
I'd especially like to know a lot more exactly what's going on when the
puppy bites, how everyone in the family has been playing with him, how much
exercise the pup is getting, and whether or not he's getting
puppy-appropriate roughhouse playtime with other dogs.

Old March 4th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Sionnach" wrote in message

"scfundogs" wrote:

Dachshunds tend to be very headstrong, strong-willed and independent.
Kids tend not to be very authoritative.

And IME, kids who are "timid" are MORE likely to be the ones secretly
tormenting a puppy, or harshly "disciplining" a puppy it doesn't behave as
they want; it gives them a sense of power which they're otherwise lacking.

Your experience differs widely from mine.

On the little evidence we have, there's no way of knowing whether the
pup's behaviour towards the child is play, dominance, or
defensiveness/fear.

I agree we can't know for sure but I'm going off the age & breed of dog more
than the age of the child. I'm no Dachshund expert but I know a thing or
two more than many people about the breed. Its pretty normal for a 4mo male
Dachshund to be pushy and mouthy.

For one thing, the OP really hasn't described what's going on when the pup
growls and bites; what are the circumstances under which it occurs? Given
that he said they "crate until he calms down", it could very well be that
the puppy's trying to engage in normal terrier-type puppy play, and simply
sees the smallest human in the household as the most approprite target for
that sort of play.

Even if its play, which it may very well be, having the child do things to
establish his authority role can't hurt and can help give more verbal
control to the child vs needing a parent to intervene after the puppy was
allowed to get overstimulated.

I'll certainly agree with the recommendation to supervise all
interactions; I can't automatically agree that what's going on is a baby
puppy trying to "rule" a human without knowing a lot more about the
circumstances and the dynamics of the household.

As I said, I'm going by breed. However, I wasn't trying to paint a picture
of "rule" in any light other than that the puppy should learn that all
humans in the house, even the youngest child, are to be obeyed.

--
Tara

Old March 5th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

rip into the little bugger when hes mean to your son, its a game of
dominance. the dog wants to be dominant to whomever possible, you, being
the alpha, needs to dominate your way through this, and let the dog know
that the big dog(you) is always watching,
simple, solved.
hth

Old March 10th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article t, "wolf"
" says...
rip into the little bugger when hes mean to your son,

Just what do you mean by this?

Just curious!

papa
Old March 10th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

what i mean is to show your dominant agressive side in whatever way seems
fit, enough so to let teh dog know that you simply will not tolerate his
behaviour when he reaches and crosses this threshold You define the
threshold. When he crosses, you obligingly let him know within 500
milliseconds, and no later. even if your in bed, its teh responsi\bility
that will make a disobetient dog lovingly obedient in a day or two. dont
get me wrong, after you provide him witt only love. that simple, no need to
be cruel, or unheartful. just a simple principle. action, reaction. the
dog does something you dont like, you react. thats what i mean by rip into
the bugger, let him know its something that is not allowed.

"Papa Dog" wrote in message
In article t, "wolf"
" says...

Old March 11th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article . net,
"wolf" " says...
what i mean is to show your dominant agressive side in whatever way seems
fit, enough so to let teh dog know that you simply will not tolerate his
behaviour when he reaches and crosses this threshold You define the
threshold. When he crosses, you obligingly let him know within 500
milliseconds, and no later. even if your in bed, its teh responsi\bility
that will make a disobetient dog lovingly obedient in a day or two. dont
get me wrong, after you provide him witt only love. that simple, no need to
be cruel, or unheartful. just a simple principle. action, reaction. the
dog does something you dont like, you react. thats what i mean by rip into
the bugger, let him know its something that is not allowed.

Thanks for clarifing. I thought you were implying to beat him. GLad
that was not the case. You may want to choose your words wisely in
here.

Papa
Old March 21st 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

hehe, i guess so. maybe thats why peoples have been on my case lately...

"Papa Dog" wrote in message
In article . net,
"wolf" " says...
[...]

rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 November 18th 05 06:36 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 October 19th 05 05:38 AM
White Bull Terrier Admin Dog breeds 27 September 6th 05 01:53 PM
White Bull Terrier AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaboratory@H Dog behavior 1 September 6th 05 01:39 PM
10 month old Labrador aggressive [email protected] Dog breeds 2 November 19th 03 03:39 PM