GSD, Barking at dogs over gate and outside car

Old March 4th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default GSD, Barking at dogs over gate and outside car

Hi,

We own a lovely GSD bitch aged 18 months, placid temperament, kind, but
full of energy when out and about. She generally will laze out on the
deck at home ( front door usually open ).

The only problem we have with her is that whenever anyone passes our
house with a dog she will lunge at the gate, barking in what LOOKS
agressive ( If the owner approaches the gate she will greet them nicely
and play with the dog under the gate.) Also, when in the car, behind
the dog gate, she will bark and lunge at dogs as we pass them.

Finally, when we get out of the car she will bark as we leave for the
shops for instance.

We don't have kids so she is spoilt to an extent, in attention terms.
She always gets a 1 hour walk every lunch time.

Any recommendations on dealing with this?

Ben

Old March 5th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 4 Mar 2006 14:36:12 -0800, "mrmandala" ,
clicked their heels and said:

The only problem we have with her is that whenever anyone passes our
house with a dog she will lunge at the gate, barking in what LOOKS
agressive ( If the owner approaches the gate she will greet them nicely
and play with the dog under the gate.) Also, when in the car, behind
the dog gate, she will bark and lunge at dogs as we pass them.

Well, she IS a GSD. Supervise. Thank her for her vigilance and then
quiet. Use tools as necessary to achieve the quiet. Calling her to
you, teaching the meaning of quiet, using leashes, collars, water -
whatever works for your dog.

GSDs are pretty territorial dogs, so her behavior is normal, even if
not desirable.

We don't have kids so she is spoilt to an extent, in attention terms.
She always gets a 1 hour walk every lunch time.

Perhaps more social outings and training is in order. How does she
behave on walks?

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 5th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

This is an EGO problem. I noticd this when you said that she is real nice
to people that approach her, but she acts bold when possible. This is hard
to break because she is probably spoiled, and how can you ask sopmeone to
stop spoiling their dog. You have to come up with some trick to snap her
attention away like a clicker, or something louder, do it everytime she
bolts on her rants. eventually, as soon as shw goes to bolt, she will
anticipate this clicker, especially if it means scoobie snacks, and it will
eventually veer her behavioural response to direct her attention towards
you.