Broken Heart Needs Answers/Help

Old March 5th 06, 02:03 AM
Nell71 Nell71 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Australia
Unhappy Broken Heart Needs Answers/Help

My dog has died and I was hoping if I give you the details that you could shed some light on what could have happened to her. The vet didn't know and we couldn't face an autopsy. We have talk to a few professionals who deny Frontline could have been the prbolem.
At 5pm on Monday night, Frontline Plus was applied as per instructions. By about 6.30-7pm she was showing signs of disorientation, looking vague (I would call her and she stared blankly at me), fatigue, panting heavily, a little drool, excessive thirst. No vomiting but a 'hack' a couple of times. No diarrheoa. No bleeding that we could see.
We phoned 24 hour local vet who said it couldn't be the Frontline so she would be ok.
We watched her over night, but by morning still very thirsty, fatigued, vague. Called our vet who said if she was still the same later that day to bring her in.
My partner was finally able to get off work to check on her at 4pm that day on the Tuesday.
Temperatures outside were 38c and he found her sitting by the pool gate (we always left the doors open so she could have stayed inside in the cool), panting heavily, glassy eyed, drooling, a little foamy in corners of mouth, tongue blueish under and white on top, gums whiteish. He got her into the car, by the time he reached the vet 5 minutes away she was limp. The vet gave her 2 adrenalin shots and got her heart going again but she died.
If it is any help with diagnosing, she has always been a little 'simple'. We lovingly said she was our down syndrome dog as she hung her head to the left from birth with her tongue hanging out the left side of her mouth. She was always a little left sided when walking etc.
She would run and get the ball and drop it straight away then run to you with nothing. She would growl when you hugged her and we have never hurt her for her to be aggressive. We have been told maybe she had a neurological disorder, does it sound like it to you?
We have Rhubarb in our pool area but don't think she ate any although this is toxic.
We get poisoned dead rats in the pool area (from other people, we don't use snail pellets or rat poison ourselves) and found one there the day after but it wasn't undisturbed, could a 'lick' have killed her?)
Frankly we blame ourselves as it seems too coincidental for it to be anything but the Frontline Plus.
What do you think the symptoms show?
Any past experiences, thoughts are appreciated,
Thanks in advance
Old March 5th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Broken Heart Needs Answers/Help

"Nell71" wrote in message
At 5pm on Monday night, Frontline Plus was applied as per instructions.
By about 6.30-7pm she was showing signs of disorientation, looking vague
(I would call her and she stared blankly at me), fatigue, panting
heavily, a little drool, excessive thirst

Frankly we blame ourselves as it seems too coincidental for it to be
anything but the Frontline Plus.

.........I'm so sorry you lost your pup. The only way you would know what
happened is with a necropsy.

.........Association is not necessarily causation. Some dogs do have
reactions to the spot-on preparations, but they're skin reactions, not
death. She could have been poisoned from eating a dead rat (no just a lick
wouldn't do it), could have been in Addisonian crisis, or any number of
things that are considered emergencies not to mention some congenital
condition. The next time a dog acts like this, don't rely on what your vet
says over the phone, take the dog into the clinic, get a physical exam and
blood work.

.......I honestly don't think finding someone/something to blame is the point
here. There are no mistakes, only learning opportunities. Honor her life
with you.

Old March 5th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

My dog has died and I was hoping if I give you the details that you
could shed some light on what could have happened to her.

I can't provide any answers but I am very sorry for your loss.