what breed(s) is Kayla

Old March 6th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default what breed(s) is Kayla

Not the greatest pictures, I will try to get better but this dog never sits
still. She is a rescue about 6 months old 24 lbs. and was listed as a
German Shepherd mix I have a hard time seeing any GSD in her and am
wondering what others think.

Thanks Michelle

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/enedne...h&store=&prodi
d=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/enednened/my_photos

Old March 6th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Michelle" wrote in
nk.net:

Not the greatest pictures, I will try to get better but this dog never
sits
still. She is a rescue about 6 months old 24 lbs. and was listed as a
German Shepherd mix I have a hard time seeing any GSD in her and am
wondering what others think.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/enedne...rc=ph&store=&p
rodi d=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/enednened/my_photos

Nice photos! Well, a GSD mix isn't too far away, although this guy has
hardly one purebred GSD parent (wrong face for that). If those photos were
taken in Finland, that would be easy: most probably East or West Siberian
Laika mixed with some GSD and perhaps some smaller hunting or herding spitz
too. But over there Laikas hardly are common and so I'd say that either
this is half Alaskan Husky (and other half could have GSD), or it is a
cross between two mutts, and there is at least GSD and Siberian Husky in
the mixture. Pattern and big ears could come from a GSD forefather, but
face is very spitzy.

Your dog could nearly be a littermate to my sister's Kilkura:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sarakontu/kis...a/kilku03e.jpg
Kilku is a purebred Lapponian Herder, but a rather untypical one. Your dog
is genetically saddle patterned and Kilku is wolf-patterned (probably with
one tanpoint allele), but still their colors/patterns are rather close! :-)

Liisa
Old March 8th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Liisa Sarakontu" wrote in message

Nice photos! Well, a GSD mix isn't too far away, although this guy has
hardly one purebred GSD parent (wrong face for that). If those photos were
taken in Finland, that would be easy: most probably East or West Siberian
Laika mixed with some GSD and perhaps some smaller hunting or herding

spitz
too. But over there Laikas hardly are common and so I'd say that either
this is half Alaskan Husky (and other half could have GSD), or it is a
cross between two mutts, and there is at least GSD and Siberian Husky in
the mixture. Pattern and big ears could come from a GSD forefather, but
face is very spitzy.

I think her face looks spitzy too, I added a couple more pics one that
hopefully gives a better idea of her size (she is small) and a close up of
her face. I guess I just have a hard time seeing GSD in her because she is
so little.

Your dog could nearly be a littermate to my sister's Kilkura:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sarakontu/kis...a/kilku03e.jpg
Kilku is a purebred Lapponian Herder, but a rather untypical one. Your dog
is genetically saddle patterned and Kilku is wolf-patterned (probably with
one tanpoint allele), but still their colors/patterns are rather close!

:-)

That is a beautiful dog. I have never seen a Lapponian Herder before,
very lovely looking dog.

Thanks, Michelle

Old March 8th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Michelle" wrote in message
nk.net...
Not the greatest pictures, I will try to get better but this dog never
sits
still. She is a rescue about 6 months old 24 lbs. and was listed as a
German Shepherd mix I have a hard time seeing any GSD in her and am
wondering what others think.

Are those Australian Cattle Dog ears?

Old March 8th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Michelle" wrote in
nk.net:

I guess I just have a hard time seeing GSD in her because
she is so little.

Saddle pattern + large erect ears always make a dog look like a GSD. But
naturally that combo can be created without any GSD blood. That pattern is
found from several other breeds (terriers, hounds) and when one parent has
small + erect ears and the other large + partially droopy ears, the
offspring might get just these ears.

That is a beautiful dog. I have never seen a Lapponian Herder
before, very lovely looking dog.

Kilkura is indeed a very lovely dog, but they should actually look like
this:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sarakontu/koi...04/kuudund.jpg
or this:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sarakontu/koi...5/kiskufih.jpg
(this is Kilku's sister.)

And much more photos of this breed here in the Gallery:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sarakontu/koirat/galleria.html

Liisa
Old March 8th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Margaret wrote:
"Michelle" wrote in message
nk.net...
Not the greatest pictures, I will try to get better but this dog never
sits
still. She is a rescue about 6 months old 24 lbs. and was listed as a
German Shepherd mix I have a hard time seeing any GSD in her and am
wondering what others think.

Are those Australian Cattle Dog ears?

I see Cattle Dog in there as well, something about the front view and
the front paws... combined with a Spitz breed dog and perhaps something
else

Old March 8th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Ronna" wrote in
oups.com:

I see Cattle Dog in there as well, something about the front view and
the front paws... combined with a Spitz breed dog and perhaps something
else

I don't see any Australian Cattle Dog there. Well, there might be some but
less than half. A purebred ACD parent is totally impossible due to looks
and color.

Liisa
Old March 9th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Dear Michelle,
We looked at your canine's photos and she is definitely German Shepherd
mix. Because she is small, she may have another breed that has ears
standing up.

Dee

Old March 9th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
Liisa Sarakontu wrote:
Pattern and big ears could come from a GSD forefather, but
face is very spitzy.

I've actually seen a purebred Siberian Husky with that
coloring. I also have a purebred Siberian with epic,
towering, monumental ears and several with ears that are
just plain big (it's common in working-type Siberians). I
think this dog is pretty obviously not a purebred Siberian,
but not because of the coloring or ears. The head is too
refined and the eyes are too level and you would not expect
a Siberian with big ears, funky coloring, and a light coat
to be stocky.

Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community.
Old March 9th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Michelle,
We looked at your canine's photos and she is definitely German Shepherd
mix. Because she is small, she may have another breed that has ears
standing up.

How can you say definitely GSD mix?? What specifically tells you
definitely?

Michelle