safe ant killer?

Old March 9th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default safe ant killer?

We just moved into a new house(renting) and it has a significant ant
problem outside in the yard and in the garage where our dog is during
the day. I dont want to spray typical ant killer for fear our 5 month
old dog will lick the stuff.

Is there some type of dog-safe ant killer?

-Kevin

Old March 9th 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

kevincw01 wrote:
We just moved into a new house(renting) and it has a significant ant
problem outside in the yard and in the garage where our dog is during
the day. I dont want to spray typical ant killer for fear our 5 month
old dog will lick the stuff.

Is there some type of dog-safe ant killer?

-Kevin

with my dogs inside i pour boiling water across my patio. singed the
grass once but it cant hurt my dogs (once bought in to the house that
is)

Old March 9th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 8 Mar 2006 21:04:49 -0800, "kevincw01" ,
clicked their heels and said:

We just moved into a new house(renting) and it has a significant ant
problem outside in the yard and in the garage where our dog is during
the day. I dont want to spray typical ant killer for fear our 5 month
old dog will lick the stuff.

How about keeping the dog inside during the day with a midday break? A
lot safer for a lot of reasons.

For severe ant problems, I've used Combat gel, but always in an area
inaccessible to dogs (my garage is off limits to dogs - too many
potentially harmful things in most garages).

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 9th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"kevincw01" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just moved into a new house(renting) and it has a significant ant
problem outside in the yard and in the garage where our dog is during
the day. I dont want to spray typical ant killer for fear our 5 month
old dog will lick the stuff.

Is there some type of dog-safe ant killer?

...........what kind of ants? Do you live anywhere there are fire ants? If
you don't know what kind of ants they are (whether they're after fat, meat
or sweets or damp wood ), then scoop some up in a jar and take them to a
county extension office to get an ID. The safest way to kill something is
to bait, but if you don't know what they're eating, you're out of luck. If
they're something like bull ants, you've got a moisture problem in the
house. ID, ID, ID those ants! And if you don't know the difference you may
be looking at termites, not ants.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old March 9th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"kevincw01" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

We just moved into a new house(renting) and it has a
significant ant problem outside in the yard and in the
garage where our dog is during the day.

I have many ants living in my yard; luckily most are in the
front, outside of the fenced area.

For my back yard, I do a major killing once a year. I've tried
much of the safe stuff mentioned in these newsgroups over the
past decade, but nothing has really worked. So, this is what I
do: Over an area, lay down a sprinkling of granular ant killer,
concentrating on the mounds. Cover said area with clear plastic
(the stuff used to cover insulation) and weight it down. With
sun on it, the plastic seems to really intensify the effect of
the ant killer and helps keeps the dogs off of it. Still, I
make sure that my dogs get no where near that area. Remove the
plastic after a few days and water the area thoroughly.

Old March 9th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Rocky" wrote in message
I have many ants living in my yard; luckily most are in the
front, outside of the fenced area.

........Ants eat many kind of insect eggs. If they're not living in your
house or biting, I don't understand why people want to kill them. Around
here I'd rather see the native ants in the yard as they keep the fire ants
from moving in.

Old March 10th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"buglady" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

If they're not living in your
house or biting, I don't understand why people want to kill
them.

I didn't say that they're not living in my house.

Old March 10th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I don't beleive that dogs should be kept inside so I leave my dog
outside until we get home for work. She is inside until bedtime and
then goes into an inside crate. The outside is connected to the garage
with a dog door. I have engineered my garage furniture so that nothing
is available for the dog to get into that she shouldn't get into. This
allows her to play outside and have fun but also come inside if it's
raining or too cold/hot. The garage is insulated. I also have a
movable network webcam that I can see from work just in case.

Unfortunately, the one place I have ant problems is on both sides of
the door of the garage so unless I lock the dog inside in the kitchen,
the combat gel wont work. Im sure the second I stop using the gel and
let the dog out, the ants will come back ;(

Old March 10th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 10 Mar 2006 10:36:40 -0800, "kevincw01"
wrote:

I don't beleive that dogs should be kept inside

Just curious - - what's the basis for this belief?