dog peeing / crying

Old March 16th 04, 03:49 AM
Spot

You need to get the x-rays taken and see what's going on. It's obvious it
is painful if it weren't he would not be crying. No matter how much you
don't want to think about the possibility of cancer it's your responsibility
to take care of him. It's obvious you've never had a blockage from a stone
or you would have had the extra test done to rule out any thing else and
start treatment for stones or schedule surgery ASAP.

As for any surgery it's always a risk and unless there are other health
problems there is no reason to think he could not go through surgery just
fine. Hopefully you come to your senses and get the dog in for additional
test before his health gets to the point that surgery would be risky.

I'm sorry if I sound cruel but what you are going to put your "beloved" dog
through is cruel by not treating him with the proper medical treatment.

Celeste

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Saturday - took my beautiful pet to the vet . She did a test on his pee

and a
thorough checkup - no chrystals but blood was found. We have him on

antibiotics
and a steroid. The vet suspects cancer or stones. I was reluctant to

have
xrays taken as that will only confirm those diseases, and not really give

me
many options for a 10+ year old siberian. I feel he is too old for an
operation.

Monday - he seems to be doing better - he stilll crys when he pees but

only at
the beginning of it, and sometimes not at all. He doesn't run and skip

like he
used to but he enjoys his walks. I have been giving him pieces of roast

beef
with his meds. He really likes that, and cheeze whiz. Meanwhile he will

not
eat his regular food.

My question is, is there some food I can give him that is more healthy for

his
condition? or should I just let him enjoy the leftovers. Is there

something to
give him that the vet did not mention on lessening stone formations?

I have no idea what I am going to do when the meds are finished but will

cross
that bridge when we come to it.

Off for another walk.

take care
Liz
no html in email

Old March 16th 04, 03:19 PM
Pat

Default dog peeing / crying

Take note of your vet and have e-rays done.
If your dog is crying while going to the toilet its certainly pain.
Ten years old.....to old for an operation.....who ever said that.
If an operation is needed then you cannot ignore it.
I have had operations that were needed on dogs older then ten.
Pat.

Old March 19th 04, 01:41 AM
Spot

I can't believe the vet would suggest putting down a healthy dog for
something like this. And I'm assuming he's been healthy since you mention
no other medical problems. I know my vet certainly would NEVER suggest this
to me, and no she's not in it for the money she charges way below everyone
else if it were to get more money she would have raised her prices long ago.

As for the "traumatic surgery" it looks to me like you are just trying to
find a way to keep from spending money. I don't know your financial
situation but I do know when I've been broke and any of my animals needed
medical help I have always managed to find a way to come up with the money.

I have a beautiful lab/cocker/husky mix who is 11 years old. He has been
through 2 ACL surgeries and 2 surgeries for tumor removal, 1 for neutering &
2 for an eye growths and is treated ongoing for mast cell cancer. There has
been nothing traumatic about any of it. I take him to the doctor for
treatment the same as I take myself. He is the most loving and devoted dog
that I have ever seen and I would spend every last dime to keep him healthy
if that is what it took. When the time comes that his quality of life is no
more I will spend the money to have him put to sleep but I sure as hell
would not do it for something as stupid as "possible" kidney stones or
because I don't want to think that he may or may not have cancer.

Celeste

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Thanks for your input. The vet said it was time to think about putting

the dog
down because of his age, although she didn't rule out the surgery.

Meanwhile
the dog is not in pain as we speak and still enjoys his life that he has.

I am not going to subject the dog to a highly traumatic surgery so even

if we
found out it was or wasn't stones then it would make no difference.

On a side note, tonight he was eating his regular food, so that is a good

sign!
perhaps it is just an infection.

take care
Liz