Is a Border Terrier Right for Us? (And other questions)

Old March 12th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Is a Border Terrier Right for Us? (And other questions)

Hi everyone, forgive me if I ask some silly questions. My husband and
I have become enamoured with the border terrier after thinking about
getting a dog for some time. I've done a lot of reading and research
but would like to hear if people thought our situation would be okay
for a BT.

We are both working, but I only work part-time, and my DH works at
home. The dog would be left alone no more than a couple hours at a time
max. We live in a ground floor flat (landlord approved), with a small
common green area directly outside, and a minute's walk away from
fields, riverside, and town. We're very active people and love to take
walks, are interested in doing lots of training, and often take
holidays out in the country where we go hiking. We do own one
mild-mannered cat, who would probably hold her ground around a puppy.

Some other questions I have a
- What should I look for in a breeder? I found a few people who do not
vaccinate the puppy while in their care, and let the puppy go at 6
weeks. Are these warning signs?
- Is it possible to let a BT off a leash when out in open areas? If
not, what do you do or where do you go to let it run around?
- Are they suseptible to separation anxiety? We hope to go abroad next
year, but want to know if it will handle being away from home/in a
kennel for a time.

Sorry for all the questions! We want to make sure we get the right
puppy and know as much about it as possible before taking the plunge.
Thanks a lot

Old March 13th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Ask for names of people who has the breeder's pups. Try to get as much
information on the linage of your dog. Genetic problems, etc., etc. You
should have a contract that you can return the pup and get a refund if
there is a serious health problem (Puppy Lemon Laws). If the breeder
won't do this, go someplace else... quickly!

- What should I look for in a breeder?

I don't like that at all. A reputable breeder usually won't let the
pups go until 8-9 weeks. The pups need the socialization of the litter.
They apparently don't want the expense of the initial vaccinations.

I found a few people who do not
vaccinate the puppy while in their care, and let the puppy go at 6
weeks. Are these warning signs?

Surely a warning sign!!!!!!

- Is it possible to let a BT off a leash when out in open areas? If
not, what do you do or where do you go to let it run around?

Can't speak to BTs. I have had a collie, two Goldens, and now a
Shih-Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix. I take my dog down to the beach (I live in
Delaware) and let him run on the beach in the off-season, but only in
areas where there aren't other people or dogs. He is pretty good
working off-leash. Your milage will vary. Most areas have leash laws...

- Are they suseptible to separation anxiety? We hope to go abroad next
year, but want to know if it will handle being away from home/in a
kennel for a time.

Dogs are pack animals. You are the pack.

We are heading out of the country in May for 3 weeks. I usually leave
my dog with one of my kids, but this time, he is bunking with the
breeder. I don't make it a practice of kenneling my dogs for more than
5-6 days.

Sorry for all the questions! We want to make sure we get the right
puppy and know as much about it as possible before taking the plunge.

Hope this has been helpful. Enjoy your dog!!

Thanks a lot

Old March 13th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Some other questions I have a
- What should I look for in a breeder? I found a few people who do not
vaccinate the puppy while in their care, and let the puppy go at 6
weeks. Are these warning signs?

Hi there
I have a friend looking at dogs also. She and I found these sites useful in
dealing with and looking for Breeders. They have tons of questions you
should ask the breeders.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=28

This site is Shih Tzu Specific (ie it uses the term Shih Tzu just change
them for your breed.)
http://www.shihtzu.org/Info/question....asp?menu=Info

Kim C
Tx

Old March 13th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"JoHunter" wrote in
ups.com:

Some other questions I have a
- What should I look for in a breeder? I found a few people who do not
vaccinate the puppy while in their care, and let the puppy go at 6
weeks. Are these warning signs?

I am probably stealing Diene's thunder, but I recommend you look at
http://www.dogplay.com/GettingDog/index.html
for some info.

Iw ould answer you other questions, but they would just be guesses. Your
best bet would probably be to go to a BT association website. It sounds
like you are in the UK, so your best bet would be a UK BT club.

I think the official breed page for the UK is
http://www.theborderterrierclub.co.uk/

Good luck!!

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old March 14th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 12 Mar 2006 14:35:54 -0800 JoHunter whittled these words:

Some other questions I have a
- What should I look for in a breeder? I found a few people who do not
vaccinate the puppy while in their care, and let the puppy go at 6
weeks. Are these warning signs?

In many states it is illegal to sell a puppy at less than 8 weeks. In
working dogs 7 weeks is common, but in small breeds 12 weeks is more
normal among "responsible breeders." Anything less than 7 weeks is a
warning sign in any breed.

- Is it possible to let a BT off a leash when out in open areas?

How much time and effort do you wish to spend in training? How attentive
can you be during these outings? What are the risks of rats, squirrels,
moles, cats, other dogs, or other critters appearing in these locations?
As terriers go Border Terriers are fairly trainable - but they ARE
terriers. Your ability to have one off leash in an open area is going to
depend on the dog, the conditions, your attentiveness, and training.

If
not, what do you do or where do you go to let it run around?

Yards, enclosed areas, ...

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old March 14th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

If
not, what do you do or where do you go to let it run around?

Yards, enclosed areas, ...

I have two small, unreliable and very fast dogs. Whenever I take them fun
places to get exercise (parks, lakes, etc), they are on long leads (30-80
feet). Sometimes I hold the ends of the leads, sometimes I let the dogs
just pull the leads behind them without me holding onto it. Either way,
they are able to run around, chase each other, fetch toys, etc and I have
the peace of mind knowing that I can grab the lead at any time without
having to be right next to the dogs. It is not better than having a
reliable dog but it is better than not ever letting them have some freedom.

Old March 14th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:32:47 -0500, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

It is not better than having a
reliable dog but it is better than not ever letting them have some freedom.

what are you doing to make them reliable?
work, work, work and more work! ;-D

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 14th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

It is not better than having a
reliable dog but it is better than not ever letting them have some
freedom.

what are you doing to make them reliable?
work, work, work and more work! ;-D

We have been working on recall with long leads outside several times a week
and in different locations (our 10 acres, the park, state park, etc). Cali
is attending intermediate obedience class weekly and both Maui and Cali are
doing Cali's weekly homework. Also, next month Maui will be taking a class.

If you have any other suggestions, I am all ears. For example, what is the
best response to a dog who just stands still staring out you when you say
come? Occasionally, Cali and Maui look when I say their name but then do
not come. I usually respond by saying "now" in a more firm voice or giving
a slow, gentle tug on the leash while saying "come". If I pull on the
leash, I just do it for a second to get them moving and then they walk to me
on their own. If this is horrible, please let me know. Though I doubt I
will ever be comfortable with small, off leash dogs in public places, I
would like to build on their reliablilty.

Old March 14th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:32:47 -0500, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

It is not better than having a
reliable dog but it is better than not ever letting them have some
freedom.

what are you doing to make them reliable?
work, work, work and more work! ;-D

well, I took a leap of faith today at the state park. I took the lead off
Maui and let him run around free. I made sure he knew I had some string
cheese with me in hopes that would help his recall. He did so well, I was
very happy. He ended up being free for 1 hour without running too far away.
He also came back to me 8 times out of 10 when I said come. The only 2
times he didn't comply, he was barking at the 3 teens walking the other way.
I don't know if he was trying to guard me or what (the teens were very loud
and when Maui started barking they barked back). Anyway, I just said his
name again and said come. He started towards me slowly, still watching the
teens and I said "yes, come, good boy". When he heard that, he started back
to me faster. It was great. I gave him so cheese and then we played some
more. My nephews were there so he was chasing us on all the play stuff, the
slides, the stairs, etc. He even went down the slide after us and really
seemed to want to be right with us. It was a great day and I am really glad
I gave him a chance to be free.

Old March 16th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Wow, great to hear that with some time, patience (and maybe a very long
leash), that it can be done. I live near lots of wide open fields and
parks and would hate to have him tethered all the time.