Dog Food Help.

Old March 14th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dog Food Help.

My dog is a 30lb Corgi/Boston Terrier mix. She is overweight. She
currently eats one can of Science Diet adult/senior dog food a day,
half in the AM, half in the PM.

Everyone tells me that Science Diet is full of fillers that are keeping
her fat, and she needs to switch to another dog food.

I cannot cook for her because I work 12-hour shifts and have absolutely
zero time, so no home made food.

She will only eat wet food.

So, what are my best options?

Thanks.

Old March 14th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Hmmmm,
A single can of SD Senior contains only 393 calories, hardly
enough to keep a 30 pound Corgi overweight. Is it possible that someone
else is giving the dog some kind of food while you are away.
If that single can is indeed supplying all the energy your dog
needs then it can hardly be "full of fillers" can it?

I'm not sure about the "full of fillers" thing -- that's just what some
people on the Internet have been telling me. They tell me rice (?) is
the main ingredient when the main ingredient should be meat.

This is all really confusing to me. I've never really considered food
this seriously before -- the vet says Science Diet is the best, so
that's what I give her. She loves the food, and it definitely gives
her all the energy she needs.

So should I not be switching at all if she's happy on it?

And no...no one feeds her while I'm away. I live alone. She doesn't
get treats either, just one can per day.

The vet said I can keep her on the same food but just give her 3/4 to
1/2 can instead to promote weight loss. But that seems like such a
small amount of food for her.

I'm so confused.

Old March 14th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article .com,
says...
[...]

Never fear Steve Crane is the Science Diet expert and he will help you
figure this out. He is a "Scientist" and works for Science Diet so he
can tell you all you need to know in regard to why its making your dog
fat.

Papa - Who is sitting this one out and letting the "expert" handle it.
Old March 14th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 04:53:32 GMT, Papa Dog
wrote:

[...]

Oh ferchrissakes! Does a troll have to come and bite you on the face
before you recognize it?
Old March 14th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:58:12 -0500, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

To the OP: There is no magical formula to weight loss. Dogs gain weight
when they consume more calories than they expend. You have two choices.
Cut down the number of calories consumed (reduce the amount of food you
feed) or increase the amount of calories they expend (increase the amount of
exercise you give your dog). Or both.

yup - same with people. Wonder if the OP has had thyroid tested as
well - worth looking into because otherwise she may be fighting a
battle than can't be won without meds.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 14th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Steve Crane" wrote in message:

A single can of SD Senior contains only 393 calories, hardly
enough to keep a 30 pound Corgi overweight.

That depends a lot on the individual dog. Khan (7-8 year old GSD mix, 90
pounds) eats 1 1/3rd cups of Solid Gold Wolf King per day. 1 cup = 364
calories, so he eats about 500 calories a day. Plus the odd treat or two,
and it goes up to maybe 600 calories a day. Any more, and he gains weight.
If a 90 pound dog can gain weight on over 600 cals/day, I'm sure that a dog
1/3rd the size can gain on about 400/day.

To the OP: There is no magical formula to weight loss. Dogs gain weight
when they consume more calories than they expend. You have two choices.
Cut down the number of calories consumed (reduce the amount of food you
feed) or increase the amount of calories they expend (increase the amount of
exercise you give your dog). Or both.

Suja

Old March 14th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

I don't know are you biting?

Whats the problem? Steve works for them. Don't you think hes
quailified to handle that question?