Massage for dogs

Old March 17th 04, 12:39 PM
Mark Thompson

Default Massage for dogs

I'm a newbie here but I've a question that I don't think other canine
newsgroups can answer.

We've a border collie / hound mix - very intelligent and very docile.
Whenever we let him out in our (large) garden he spends most of his time
running around chasing bees, birds, imaginary cats, etc. He's developed a
'hard body' due to all his exercise. When he's let back in the house we
wipe off his paws and he's a 'house dog' again.

A few days ago I thought I felt a tense muscle along his back so I thought
I'd massage it out. I massaged along his back bone as I would a human. I
had no clue if it would help - but my wife tells me I'm a great massuse.
He loved it and seems to expect more ....and I've now ordered two books and
a video on 'dog massage'.

Could anyone please let me know it they've had similar experiences. He's
always been a very docile dog but is now 'demanding' a good back massage
every day!!!!!

Thanks for any feedback.

All the best,
Mark Thompson

Old March 17th 04, 11:10 PM
buglady

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
.. He's
always been a very docile dog but is now 'demanding' a good back massage
every day!!!!!

.........Heh....make him work for it! This is no different than begging for
food. Of course dogs love massage! You might look into T Touch also
(Tellington Touch). I had a cancer dog I used to work on every night. Just
after I got started he'd heave a big sigh of contentment because he knew
what was coming.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old March 18th 04, 12:16 AM
Sue and Atty

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Could anyone please let me know it they've had similar experiences. He's
always been a very docile dog but is now 'demanding' a good back massage
every day!!!!!

Thanks for any feedback.

All the best,
Mark Thompson

I took a massage clinic given by our vet. It was great. We had to bring
out dogs with us and she helped us learn how to do massages on them. Atty
loved it. She's always rubbing up against one of us to get a massage.

Sue and Atty

Old March 18th 04, 12:19 AM
Spot

Mark,

Could you let us know what books you ordered and where?

I have been massaging Barney regularly for over 4 years now. The
orthopedic vet suggested it after his first ACL surgery. He said it helps
with the circulation and that the dogs love it. I've just been going by
where he seems to enjoy it most but I'd like to know that I'm doing it the
most beneficial way.

Barney is to the point now if he's over done it and his legs are bothering
him he will come over and lay down and hold up what ever leg he wants
rubbed. I guess I'm helping since he wants it done nightly before bed and
sometime earlier in the evening.

Celeste

Old March 18th 04, 01:22 AM
culprit

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
.. .

Could anyone please let me know it they've had similar experiences. He's
always been a very docile dog but is now 'demanding' a good back massage
every day!!!!!

my trainer's husband is a licensed canine masseuse. no really. :-) he's
my dogs' best friend (other than me, of course). as soon as they see him
they run over to lean against him and get some rubs.
he recommends massage as a way to bond with your dog. i've also read that it
keeps you more aware of your dog's health as well, because you are more
aware of lumps, bumps, or tender areas.

what books did you order? i need to find a good one!

-kelly

Old March 18th 04, 01:58 AM
Mark Thompson

Hi,

I ordered two books through Amazon.com. One is "The Well Adjusted Dog:
Canine Chiropractic Methods You Can Do", by Dr. Kamen Daniel. The other
is "Canine Massage: A Complete Reference Manual" by Jean-Pierre
Hourdebaigt.

I also ordered the video through Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Mark

"Spot" wrote in
: