how big of a crate do i need for my puppy

Old March 17th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default how big of a crate do i need for my puppy

i have decided i need to crate my puppy whiel i am gone to work, as she is
eating stuff that is unsafe for her. she is about 8 mos old weighs 70lbs,
and will be in it for about 5 hours, also is it best to leave stuff like
her kong and raw hide in there for her so she is not so bored. she is a
rotti, and is used to being played with outside lots, and also is used to
being with my older dog and cat when i'm gone.

Old March 17th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:06:10 -0500, "sassygirl" ,
clicked their heels and said:

i have decided i need to crate my puppy whiel i am gone to work, as she is
eating stuff that is unsafe for her. she is about 8 mos old weighs 70lbs,
and will be in it for about 5 hours, also is it best to leave stuff like
her kong and raw hide in there for her so she is not so bored.

Yes, leave her kong. I don't like rawhide and think it's a choking
hazard. Don't leave anything in there that she can destroy. Her
collar should be removed before you put her in the crate, and I always
crate reward after the dog goes in. If you have never crate trained
her, it would be a good idea to start crating her at night on a Friday
night, and at random intervals over the weekend, so she can acclimate
to it. There are a lot of benefits to crate training, but it can be
more difficult for them to adjust to the confinement, the older they
are.

Get the largest crate you can fit in the area of your home where you
plan to have it. The last time I worked a regular day job, I had a
48" long crate for a Golden Retriever puppy. I currently use a 42"
crate for a 58# Golden puppy (aka "Jaws").

..
--
Janet Boss
Old March 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:16:14 -0500, Janet B
, clicked their heels and said:

I always
crate reward after the dog goes in.

^^^^^^ should be "treat".

--
Janet Boss
Old March 17th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:10:54 -0500, Handsome Jack Morrison
, clicked their heels and said:

"Rudy, Rudy" "Rudy, Rudy" "Rudy, Rudy"

have I mentioned the most recent comment from DH? About how surprised
Rudy will be when he sees the pool open (he currently likes the cover
as a trampoline)? Since we don't open it until mid or late
MAY............ I'm playing it cool.......
--
Janet Boss