Viva kicks NADAC butt

Old March 19th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs.activities

Default Viva kicks NADAC butt

Yep, you heard it right, I did NADAC today. I have a friend who has 2
dogs who both have weave stress issues, so I suggested she go to a NADAC
trial and do Jumpers because there are no weaves, and work on speed. She
dragged me along. Cala did Novice Chances (oy, the changes, my head, it
spins again), Novice Tunnelers and Novice Jumpers. And I blew the moth
balls off of Viva and entered her in Open Tunnelers and Vet Jumpers. We
did Proficient, which means Viva jumped 16".

We had a great time. In Tunnelers, I ran Viva first. She couldn't
believe it. All these months of being hauled to trials only to sit in a
crate all day. She was *beautiful*. The old lady cranked up a 5.4 yps
clean run for a 3rd place and was grrrrring like a steam engine all the
way around. Cala was a bit less successful, "you mean ANOTHER clear
tunnel?" but even with 3 spins was still under time for a 5th place.

Again in Jumpers Viva went first. Clean and sassy and enough to pull
5.04 yps which would have Qd her on a regular course--but she wouldn't
have made that time doing 20". She came out of the ring strutting, and
you could hear her thoughts. "Take THAT you young snot" (to Cala). "See,
I AM the best and don't you forget it" (to me). She's been extremely
self-satisfied all night.

Cala had a blistering Novice Jumpers run but NQd by dropping the 2nd to
last bar, still, she was 6.4 yards per second and finished in 15 seconds
and change.

So believe it or not, I did NADAC again. No, I still don't believe in
the organization. Yes, I think most of the changes are just silly. But
when you don't care about the titles or the venue, that makes it just
another fun day, albeit paying a bit more for each run than you would.
And this is a great club (Matt/Martha).

Unfortunately the one true awful thing about the day was that Cindy N
lost her dobe Tagi last night to sudden death cardiomyopathy. He was
sleeping with her, jumped up at 4:30 a.m., she called his name, and he
was gone. Some of you on the east coast probably will recognize these
names. Tagi was only 5, had just gotten his SchH 3, and was very close
to his MACH or maybe had it.
Old March 19th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

In rec.pets.dogs.activities Robin Nuttall wrote:
Yep, you heard it right, I did NADAC today.

:-)

And I blew the moth
balls off of Viva and entered her in Open Tunnelers and Vet Jumpers. We
did Proficient, which means Viva jumped 16".

yay Viva

We had a great time. In Tunnelers, I ran Viva first. She couldn't
believe it. All these months of being hauled to trials only to sit in a
crate all day. She was *beautiful*. The old lady cranked up a 5.4 yps
clean run for a 3rd place and was grrrrring like a steam engine all the
way around.

Good for her! Nice to hear she's still got the push in her.

Cala was a bit less successful, "you mean ANOTHER clear
tunnel?" but even with 3 spins was still under time for a 5th place.

LOL - well Cala definetly has opinions.

Again in Jumpers Viva went first. Clean and sassy and enough to pull
5.04 yps which would have Qd her on a regular course--but she wouldn't
have made that time doing 20". She came out of the ring strutting, and
you could hear her thoughts. "Take THAT you young snot" (to Cala). "See,
I AM the best and don't you forget it" (to me). She's been extremely
self-satisfied all night.

She deserves that pride.

Cala had a blistering Novice Jumpers run but NQd by dropping the 2nd to
last bar, still, she was 6.4 yards per second and finished in 15 seconds
and change.

Yow - I've never gotten better than 5.5 yps.

Unfortunately the one true awful thing about the day was that Cindy N
lost her dobe Tagi last night to sudden death cardiomyopathy. He was
sleeping with her, jumped up at 4:30 a.m., she called his name, and he
was gone. Some of you on the east coast probably will recognize these
names. Tagi was only 5, had just gotten his SchH 3, and was very close
to his MACH or maybe had it.

Damn - that just sucks. I recently sent some feedback to Gina Spadafori
(author of Dogs for Dummies and other articles) about an article she
published a couple years ago about finding a good breeder. For heath
issues the only thing she specifically addressed was CHD - I suggested
that it was time for authors like herself to start making people as aware
of issues like cardio as we have been succesful with CHD. It is time to
give CHD a passing mention just to make sure no one forgets, but start
turning up the heat on other issues - cardiomyopathy and PRA are the two
that come to mind as widespread enough, and significant enough, to warrant
attention in general articles on choosing breeders.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old March 19th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

wrote:
In rec.pets.dogs.activities Robin Nuttall wrote:

Cala had a blistering Novice Jumpers run but NQd by dropping the 2nd to
last bar, still, she was 6.4 yards per second and finished in 15 seconds
and change.

Yow - I've never gotten better than 5.5 yps.

And exactly why did she drop that second to last bar, you ask? She was
bounce jumping. NADAC spaced jumps. Didn't quite make it. Little snot.

Damn - that just sucks. I recently sent some feedback to Gina Spadafori
(author of Dogs for Dummies and other articles) about an article she
published a couple years ago about finding a good breeder. For heath
issues the only thing she specifically addressed was CHD - I suggested
that it was time for authors like herself to start making people as aware
of issues like cardio as we have been succesful with CHD. It is time to
give CHD a passing mention just to make sure no one forgets, but start
turning up the heat on other issues - cardiomyopathy and PRA are the two
that come to mind as widespread enough, and significant enough, to warrant
attention in general articles on choosing breeders.

I think maybe what's important is to emphasize that different breeds
have different real and serious issues. In some breeds, like mine, HD
simply isn't much of an issue. Few dogs have it. Nor is PRA any sort of
issue in my breed, and the vWD we get is a mild form that rarely causes
problems. But we've got dogs dropping left and right from Cardio. If a
Scottie gets vWD he's going to bleed out and die. SAS is way too common
in Labs and Goldens. Elbow Dysplasia is crippling Rottweilers. So I
think the real take home is that if you are going to get a dog you need
to understand the genetics of the breed. And even if you're going to get
a mixed breed, it pays to know what's going on genetic health wise in
the breeds that contributed to the mix--if you know. Have a German
Shepherd mix? Start reading up on degenerative myelopathy. Have a Pug
mix? Better know about hip dysplasia, etc.
Old March 19th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

Major congrats to Viva (and to you :-) ) on her terrific day!

And -- how awful for Cindy. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose
a young and apparently healthy dog so suddenly.

-- Vicki

Old March 22nd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

[...]

sounds like a fun day!